Marine Highway System

Search

Marine Highway System

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marine Highway System

Help! I want to plan an interesting trip to Alaska. I don't want to go on a tour boat. I don't want to be in towns with tons of tourists wearing Easy Spirits.

I thinking of flying into Anchorage, but beyond that I'm struggling. Has anyone traveled via the ferry system throughout Alaska? I would love to hear any comments of anything anyone has done that was off the beaten path.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are plenty of places off the beaten path, depending on how far off the path you want to beat. Obviously the ferries only go to coastal places; there aren't many routes in Southcentral Alaska - Prince William Sound crossings and Kodiak-Aleutians are about it. Most everywhere on the road system will have plenty of tourists; destinations like Homer, Seward and Denali NP will have zillions in buses most of the summer, but that's to be expected with short visiting seasons and few prime tourist draws that are affordably accessible.

If you have a reasonably strong constitution or respond well to seasickness meds, think about the Aleutians ferry - see the AMH website at http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html for schedules. Runs a few times a year, advance booking very important, but you'll see a part of the state that virtually nobody sees.

Other possibilities include flying to various bush villages, but those that have tourist infrastructure (hotels, restaurants etc.) are also likely to have plenty of visitors.

BTW you can buy Easy Spirits at Nordstrom's in Anchorage. Not everyone you'll see walking around in them are tourists.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM

If I look into AMHS ferry schedules for 2006, I do not find Seward any longer as ferry terminal.

Does anyone know, if AMHS has stopped all operations from Sewards (I was looking for the ferry schedule from Seward to Homer)?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Awhile back, there was an article in Frommers Budget Travel magazine about the Marine Highway System. You might check the web site to see if they have some information up.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM

I was remembering that article about the Marine Hwy in Frommers and it is still available on line - just printed it off - lots of good info
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Do a search on this site "Alaska Marine Highway"
Good info--however pay attention to the dates --can date back 1-3 years..
A while ago a female traveling alone did a trip report (on this site )in several sessions of her experiences on this mode of travel. Told how she booked accommodations ahead--staying 2-3 days at Ferry stops. Of course, I can't remember it title...
Does anyone else remember reading this account???
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Forgot to mention the Frommers article is on BudgetTravelonline.com and is titled Riding the Alaska Marine Highwaya
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If I look into AMHS ferry schedules for 2006, I do not find Seward any longer as ferry terminal.

Does anyone know, if AMHS has stopped all operations from Sewards (I was looking for the ferry schedule from Seward to Homer)?

Seward service was to have been discontinued last summer; however they waited until this year. They planned to stop serving Seward once the Whittier car tunnel was fully operational. Service to Kodiak and the Aleutians will be solely from Homer; the cross-Gulf services (as well as Valdez/Cordova) will operate from Whittier from now on.

There's no ferry service between cities that are connected by the road system as a general rule.

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM

The best trip I ever took was on the Alaska Marine Highway. I met a bunch of great folks from all over the world and saw great natural beauty.

When I went, I flew into Bellingham, WA. I took the ferry to Juneau and flew to Glacier National Park. I then flew back to Juneau and took another ferry to Sitka. I flew home from Sitka. I also got to see other Islands when the ferry made its stops.

You have to decide what type of sleeping accomodations you want. You can sleep in a berth, on a lounge chair or bring a tent to sleep in. IF you bring a tent, set it up under the overhang on the first level or the wind will blow it down. If you are going to sleep in a lounge chair, which is what I did, bring a thick sleeping bag. I also recommend bringing some food with you. On the largest ship, they have cafeteria style or fancy, neither of which I heard was very good. On the smaller ships, the food was plentiful and delicious.