Marin County to Gold Country -advice please?

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marin County to Gold Country -advice please?

I'm trying a separate thread for this question in the hope that some of you Northern California experts can help!
We (family of 4 with 16-year old daughter and 14-year old son) leave SF on the morning of Saturday 5th July and want to drive up to Marin County, stopping at the Eathquake Walk and then renting kayaks at Tomales Bay (and visiting Inverness too). The following day we drive up through Sacramento, down H'way 49 ending at Yosemite.
I'd booked the Saturday night in Vacaville since I thought that would get us well on our way for the long drive the next day. But now I'm wondering -really don't want day at Point Reyes to be a mad rush and think it might be better to spend the night at Novato. What do you think? I imagine the traffic is going to be really heavy that weekend. We'll be having early starts, by the way.
Would also be really glad of any route advice for Point Reyes area to Sacramento -I just can't figure out the best way to go and don't know which roads will be busiest.
And finally -when driving down H'way 49 we'd like to visit either Murphy's or Columbia State Park -but would also love just to chill out in a river somewhere. I know the Merced has swimming holes -but where?
Would really appreciate any thoughts-I've been using Fodor's postings to plan this trip and it's the most amazing site for us dreamers and schemers!
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Vacaville? (w/ apologies to LoveItaly ) there is no reason to stay in Vacaville. If you were going to do that - drive as far as Sacramento and stay there. But just Sacramento to Yosemite via hwy 49 is most of a day's drive if you stop anywhere enroute.

Tomales Bay to Yosemite via Hwy 49 - over July 4th weekend will be a total slog no matter how you go. That Sunday will have very heavy traffic just about everywhere,

I honestly think you would be better off to drop Tomales Bay/Marin County - or - drop any thought of traveling down hwy 49.

Your plans are pretty complicated - is there any way you could do the Marin/Tomales Bay bit as a day trip from SF earlier in the trip?

Then you'd just have to drive from SF to Yosemite. SF > Yosemite would take HOURS less than Tomales Bay to Sacramento to Placerville or Plymouth and down hwy 49 to Yosemite.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Wow - I guessed it would be busy but had no idea it would be such a nightmare. Right -back to the drawing board -thanks very much for your help.
We can't go up to Marin County earlier and I'd just chosen Vacaville because it looked well placed on the road up to Sacramento.We'd like to risk winging it and just find a motel somewhere depending on weather (I know it could be foggy in Marin County) but we think it's too risky for one night on a holiday weekend.

So -how would it be to have the day as planned -but avoiding any unnecessary driving -in Marin County then spend the night at Novato. Then early next morning head via Fairfax-Lodi-San Andreas over to lower part of H'way 49? I've no idea whether this is a feasible route -I can see it on Mapquest and thought it might be quieter than the freeways? Or should we just head straight over as quickly as we can -and then if we have the enrgy we could always drive up a little of H'way 49.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Old May 30th, 2008, 01:33 PM

What is earthquake walk, and where is it? Googled and found something in Olema, is that it?
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM

I know the roads will be crowded over the July 4 weekend, but if you could get to Sacramento, the drive from Sacramento to Yosemite via 49 is sooo much nicer. I live in El Dorado Hills (18 miles from Sacramento off Hwy 50). I have gone down to Columbia State Park with in-laws and back in one day. I have also gone to Yosemite down 99 and then over. Hated that route. We came back via 49 and it was so much better. On a normal drive from Sacramento to Yosemite, it is about 5 hours.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Faina: I believe she is refering to the Earthquake Trail at Pt. Reyes National Seashore.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM

From what I recall, that is just a short trail in the park - not particularly special. Olema is just outside the park so maybe that is what FainaA meant.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM

It is a three day weekend and driving will be packed. Saturday will be the lightest of the three days, but still bad.

Fairfield and Vacaville won't be to bad for just picking a place to spend the night without a reservation.

If you can make it to Sacramento you can stay down near Old Sacramento, which is a fun place to walk around and plenty of great places to eat.

If you are "watered" out from the ocean but still want to cool off, try the Moaning Caverns underground cave tour.

It is just a view miles from Columbia State Park and well worth the stop.

In fact, if I could only do one I would do the caves over the park.

If you want to cut off some time after leaving Sacramento, but still want to see Hwy 49, don't go up Hwy 80 or 50 to 49 as it will take you forever and that part of Hwy 49 isn't all that great.

The better route would be to take Hwy 99 south from Sacramento and then take Hwy 12 (east) at Lodi and up to the City of Jackson and then south on Hwy 49.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM

I'd not ever take I-80, that is miles out of the way. Nor would I go all the way to Placerville. Instead of 99 south, I'd take Hwy 50 to the east side of Sacramento and then hwy 16 (Jackson hwy) and hit hwy 49 at Plymouth.

If one uses hwy 12, it would mean driving hwy 99 which can be a real bear. Of course 50 can be bad too, but you'd be getting off it before going very far.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Earthquake Trail is just a short walk in Point Reyes National Seashore -and we thought it sounded really interesting but didn't involve too long an expedition.

Like the idea of the caves too -sounds fun.

All the route suggestions are really helpful -thanks so much to all. Sitting with my map trying to figure them out. One final question -does following 12 across to Lodi all the way from Fairfield (missing out Sacramento altogether) make sense or would it be a very slow road?

Thanks again-this is such an amazing way of planning a trip!
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:16 PM

don't take hwy 12 from I80 to Lodi - it gets a LOT of traffic on too narrow a road and there are a lot of idiots who pass and kill themselves and the car they run into . . . .

From Lodi east into gold country hwy 12 is entirely different (though I'd personally still go via Hwy 50 to hwy 16)
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM

Hello selkiecm, I so agree with janisj's suggestions.

And please, do not drive on Hwy 12 off of I-80 going east at Fairfield. We locals call it Bloody Alley. I can't tell you the number of people I have known who were killed on that horrible strech of roadway including our attorney.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM

To reinforce it - definitely do not take hwy 12 between Fairfield and Lodi. Just this weekend there was another fatality west of Lodi. Cars were stopped waiting for the drawbridge and a poor visitor from Illinois was rear ended by a big rig and killed instantly.

Passengers in 4 other cars and the semi were injured.

nuff' said . . . .
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all this information. H'way 12 sounds just horrible. I think this is one of the amazing things about being able to post questions here -that's the kind of information you'd just never have unless you had local contacts.

SO -I think we'll still plan on staying the night somewhere easy and near the main road (and Vacaville still seems a possibility) after leaving Point Reyes. Would love to explore Sacramento but no time on this trip. Next morning we'll head off about 8 or earlier and hopefully miss some of the traffic -and then as we head down towards Yosemite later in the afternoon I'm hoping we;l be going against most of the flow. After sacramento planning to take janisj's itinerary south onto the southern part of 49 -to give us a taste of what it's like.

Thanks again to all of you for your time and advice!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM

If you decide to do that - I'd definitely drive on to Sacramento that night. And not just to "Sacramento" but to a motel/hotel on the east side of town along Hwy 50.

reason being - if you leave Vacaville at 0800, you will be caught in the REALLY horrible morning commute. Even leaving a 0700 will catch you up.

Sacramento is less than 35 miles farther, and in the evening after the commute, it only takes 30-40 mins. To the motels on the east side it is only about 40 miles total. Then the next morning you will be on the other side of the worst of the commute and will be driving against the main traffic flow. By going on to Sacramento - you will save more than 90 minutes the next morning.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM

Well if you decide to stay in Vacaville selkiecm the night of Saturday July 5th the drive n/e on I-80 the next morning won't be bad as it will be a Sunday so there will not be commute traffic and it will be in the middle of the three day 4th of July weekend. May I ask where in Vacaville you made your room reservation?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM

oops - forgot about it being july 4th weekend

brain fade

But that will be a busy travel time so I'd probably still go on to Sac . . . . . .
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM

I find all these dire warnings a bit funny, I mean Blood Alley references and warnings of absolutely horrible traffic early July 6th morning is a bit overstating things. The traffic going east and north from Marin will not be so bad that you should even consider changing your plans for a family vacation, especially since you're willing to start early.

A very nice, scenic and historic route from Marin County to Yosemite by way of Murphys and/or Columbia would be about 260 miles and take about 5 hours of driving which leaves a few hours for side trips and meals.

Spend the night in Marin and then start your day off by getting to the 37/101 junction near Novato.
*Take 37 east to I-80 east (north) towards Sacramento
*Merge onto Highway 50 East towards South Lake Tahoe and continue through Sacramento to El Dorado Hills (Novato to El Dorado Hills = 100 miles)
*Exit on Latrobe Road, go right (south) about 12-15 miles
*Go left (east?) on Hwy 16, Jackson Road towards the Hwy 49 junction
*Take Hwy 49 south to Angels Camp
*If you want to add Murphys or Columbia you need to take Hwy 4 out of Angels Camp and then take Parrots Ferry Road back to Hwy 49 continuing south
*Last route change--take Highway 120 east through Groveland and into Yosemite

Sorry I can't help you with places along the river to stop for a swimming hole but I'm sure others on here have secret spots they could share. Along this route, stops in El Dorado Hills, Sutter Creek, Jackson and Murphys offer good places to stretch, eat or grab a bite--Enjoy!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM

I said I goofed about the commute traffic. But parrothead - LoveItaly and I are not exaggerating at all about hwy 12. It is a deadly road, worse even than 99/70 north of Sacramento.

I was going to send them via Latrobe Rd too - but just thought 16 would be easier to explain. But I agree Latrobe to hwy 16 would be even better than Jackson Rd all the way.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM

Sutter Creek is a very cute town, but now 49 has a Sutter Creek by-pass. I live right off El Dorado Hills Blvd, so the route that Parrothead describes, it the route I take. If you do take the Latrobe exit, bear right at the off ramp. To the south of Hwy 50 is Latrobe Rd., to the north is El Dorado Hills Blvd.

Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -