Mardi Gras parades: stands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and the days leading up to it this year. What is the best way to watch the parades? Do you suggest buying tickets for stands (the InterContinental sells stand tickets) or just watching from the street?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM

The stands at Hotels are often over-sold for the popular parades. We bought a buffet/stands package for a popular parade a few years ago, and were very upset. There were so man people that it was impossible to find a spot in the stands. Maybe it is better now, but you might want to ask.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I wonder if they are over-sold or under-regulated with lots of people sneaking into the stands.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Dan

The InterContinental doesn't oversell but it can still get crowded.

You can get tickets to the public grandstands through the City's "VIGOR" office but I can't remember what that stands for!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM

My daughter watched a parade in the stands last year & really enjoyed it. I think it might have been through the Intercontinental. It is much easier to see in the stands but there is something traditional about being on the ground & scrapping for the beads & doubloons! If you can afford it I would try the stands for a parade especially if you want to see the overall parade. It gets tough when you're on the ground being jostled by the crowd unless you're tall & in the very front.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Again, my experience at the Intercontinental was that the grandstand WAS over-sold. There were a bunch of very angry people. This was about ten years ago, so it may be better now.

The City of New Orleans sells tickets to their downtown grandstands for $12.00 per-person. Go to Ticketmaster.com and search for "Mardi Gras." The tickets at VIGOR are a limited number of free tickets available for the poor. These grandstands are a good place to see the parade.

The parades on Mardi Gras weekend (especially Saturday and Sunday night's parades) are VERY popular, and the crowds at street level can be extremely thick. IF you really want to be able to "see" the parade, grandstands are the way to go. However, there is something to be said for the experience of being in the crowd and grabbing for beads.

Happy Mardi Gras!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:52 AM

I lived in NO for 3 years and only went downtown once. I felt it was something to do "to say I did it" but I much prefer watching them Uptown on St. Charles Avenue. It may be something you want to look in to. It is MUCH less crowded, but just as much fun and you get to stand on the ground - which is the fun part as everyone else has mentioned. You should definitely go to some in the Quarter, but I would venture Uptown for a different perspective since you will be in town for a few days. One of the most fun areas to stand is near Superior Grill and The Columns Hotel on St. Charles between Napolean and Louisiana.
Have fun!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Dan

I'm not poor but get free tix from the city every year. Just have to ask!

Still, $12 is a good deal. The grandstands are all free the previous weekend (Jan 28-30) and throughout the weekday parades (Tues-Thurs, Feb 1-3).

I'm positive the Intercon no longer oversells although I must admit I was unaware they ever did.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks, Dan, and you are right about the VIGOR tickets. I don't know how many they give away vs. sell.

From the Times Picayune...

Grandstand tickets offered for parades
Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Complimentary tickets for public grandstands during Carnival parades set for Jan. 28 through Feb. 3 in New Orleans will be available weekdays beginning Monday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the VIGOR Office at City Hall, Room 1W03. A photo identification card is required and the number of tickets is limited. For information, call the Volunteers in Government of Responsibility at 658-4055.
---------------------
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for replying and for your opinions on this.

I looked into the stands at the InterContinental and it says it's a platform set-up with no seating. Does anyone know if it's a tiered platform?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM

My sister works across the street and she said it is a tiered platform. we are going to get tickets for endymion this year. she said food is not included but there is a concession stand of sorts where you can buy food. bathroom access too. please post if you find out any more deatils.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I lived in New Orleans as a kid and went to the parades with my family every year. Sometimes we brought the ladder w/the seat on top but most of the time we just stood on the street. The trick is to get there early and not go to the most popular spot on the parade route. I have many fond memories of sitting on a curb eating Popeye's waiting for the parade to begin. I can't imagine you get the same feel of Mardi Gras in the stands. You miss the bands passing right before you and the clamoring for beads. How can you stomp your foot on top of a dublune to claim it as your own on bleachers?

Have a great time! I always go back in the off season now to avoid the crowds but would love to go back during Mardi Gras one of these day. I still order my king cakes every year and bring one to work (there is actually a bakery here in Cincinnati that make a really good one!). Laissez les bon temps roullez!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Dan

I forgot that Endymion does turn onto St. Charles. I watch it every year at Canal/Carrollton where it makes the big turn onto Canal.

Friends watch it at Lee Circle, about 3 hours after I do!