Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Manhattan: where can we leave our luggage ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a grazy less than 3 days long weekend in NYC from Europe !! We will be landing in Newark at 4pm but we are hotel based in Brooklyn. We do not want to go straight to the hotel but spending the evening in Manhattan. Where can we leave our luggage ? Are lockers at Grand Central Station a good idea ? Then at the end of this long day we will have the subway train from Union Square or a cab to Brooklyn.
Any suggestions ?
Our return flight after 3 days is from JFK, therefore no problem.. !!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

I meant crazy less than 3 days..
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM

Luggage storage is a thing of the past. Best just to take your stuff to your hotel in Brooklyn, freshen up, and return to the city that never sleeps. You really aren't going to be losing tons of time.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM

Just to reiterate, there is no luggage story at Grand Central Station and limited storage at Penn Station. We live in a post 9/11 world.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM

Just set it down in the middle of Grand Central and run. The police will store it for you.

(Relax ... just a joke!)

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:25 PM

You used to be able to store luggage at Penn Station for $1 a bag and you had to show your train ticket in order to do so. I don't know if you can still do that, my info is a year or two out of date.

If you know which restaurant you are going to, maybe you could call the restaurant and ask them if they have a place to check your luggage. most nice restaurants have a coat check/ bag room and may be able to store your luggage as long as it is not too much.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM

No luggage storage anywhere in NYC - security measure.

If you have an Amtrak ticket they will hold luggage for the train - not for anyone else.

Perhaps you can get a nearby hotel to hold it in your lugagge room for a special tip. Otherwise just take it to your hotel.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.

It is good that I asked as I am really non updated !!!
I should have imagined.... !!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM

For $50, I'll pick it up & hold it at my apartment Just kidding...

That idea about maybe having another hotel hold it sounds good, but I wonder if they would consider it a security risk, since you are not a customer there. Where in Brooklyn is your hotel? You know, you might actually just want to go to Brooklyn & hang there for the night, because there are some really hip places (more so than parts of Manhattan). By the time you land, get through baggage, passport control, etc, you will be well into dinner time & jet lagged from the time change. Plan on 1 1/2 hours to get out of there. Then the commute into the city during rush hour. Hmmm.

Just something to think about.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Hotel is along L subway, Wyckoff/Halsey street stop, 12 stops from Union Square, about 20 minutes ride. Then we have to meet a friend in Manhattan for the evening so we will have to backtrack. Due to very limited time, sleeping will not be our priority this time !
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM

We found a place to store our baggage in Manhattan last week. They charge $5/bag to store luggage for the day. They are located behind Macy's at 147 W. 35th Street (between 7th Ave. and Broadway). I believe that their hours are 8-8pm. Anyway it worked out very well since we had rented an apartment and didn't have a place to store our stuff on check-in/check-out days. Nice folks, their number is 212-947-0026
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Do they check the bags for security purposes? Hopefully they don't just take any bag and store it w/o some precautionary measures.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Here's the website (found by googling the phone number):

http://newyork.backpage.com/rentals/...=miscellaneous
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Since you are landing in Newark, I'd suggest getting a service car to pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel. From Newark it's actually easier to get to Brooklyn you travel across Staten Island over the bridge to Brooklyn.

I'm guessing the flat rate will be around $60 and you may be able to get a discount coupon on one of the websites like Carmel, Televiv or Dial7.

Google car service in NYC and it should give you the list. In the long run this will probably be alot easier than coming into Manhattan with your bags and have to store and then lug them later.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much.

I am back and had a great time last weekend 7-10th december !! Cool but sunny !!

Our waitlist to EWR was never confirmed and at the end we changed plans and flew to Boston, arriving at 1pm and then USAir to La Guardia, arrived at 4pm the same time of the EWR landing time, but much closer to Brooklyn, so the storage of luggage was not a problem at all !!

thank you again !!