Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Manhattan ict 18 to 23: do I need a heavy coat?

Sep 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Iīll be in Manhattan from October 18 to 23. Do I need a coat (manteau) for the night? I donīt have many choises of coats, since I live in a hot place - Rio de Janeiro.
Whatīs the dress code for Metropolitan Opera? I have tickets for M. Butterfly.
Sep 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Today it was warm in NY, 87F (30+C)but that's unusual.
It probably won't be very cold when you come, but the average at that time of the year is probably about 65F(18C)during the day and colder in the evening.It could be a little warmer or colder, but it also could rain, so a coat is always a good idea,and bring sweaters that you can wear underneath
Sep 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM

If you are from Rio, bring along one of your ponchos. I know you have one, sweetie darling. It could be rainy in October, or it could be blazing hot. Who knows? You should not need a heavy coat, however.

For the Met: are you going to an evening peformance or a matinee? I would dress up for an evening performance, although not in an evening gown. Black pants and a blouse or sweater would be fine, maybe a jacket. For a matinee, you could wear casual pants and a blouse.
Sep 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM

For the Met, I'd also suggest dressing up a bit, nice dress, and get a glass of champagne during intermissions.

Lots of restaurants closeby Lincoln Center after the performance, you might walk up Columbus Ave, there are restaurants on every block.

Weather in October starts to get chilly in the evenings, or it might be downright cold, we'll know when we get there. I'd suggest brining a raincoat, maybe one with a zip-out lining, so if it is cold you will stay warm.

Also check www.weather.com for forcasts closer to your dates of travel. The zipcode for the Empire State Building is 10001, so you might try that for location.

Have a great time while you are here.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:38 AM

You rarely need a heavy coat in October -but it can be cool during the day and chilly, damp and windy at night. so perhaps a raincoat - or something similar to that in weight. And a couple of different sweaters and tops for layering if it does get cold/rainy.
Sep 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Dear Everybody,
Tnks for the answers. And explaining: we donīt wear ponchos. They are used in Peru.