Reload this Page >

Mandarin's Turnberry Resort, or Ritz Key Biscayne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Anita

My husband and I are going down to Miami for 4 nights at the end of August. We seriously need some time to unwind and chill out together . . . AND it's our 4th anniversary. We have reservations at the new Ritz and got a great AMEX rate of $139 p.n., but now I'm having second thoughts. I just read that review in Rants and Raves and it sounds like the KB Ritz is not up to snuff. Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge of Turnberry . . . or Grove Isle for that matter? The Mandarin's Turnberry is offering a great Summer Elegance rate for $259 which includes breakfast and dinner (!), even at the Veranda restaurant, for two. Thanks!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Kay

Sorry Anita, I can't give you any first hand info except that I've been wanting to try the Mandarin since it opened and haven't had a chance. I've read some very nice reviews of it. And the other Mandarins I've stayed at have been exceptional.
Ritz, on the other hand, has turned me off somewhat over the past several years. They've come up with a cookie cutter strategy like upscale Courtyards (Ritz IS a Marriott hotel brand, you know) which makes them feel a bit too impersonal to me and I don't like their bathrooms.
Hopefully someone here can offer a first hand opinion.
Let us know if you go, OK?

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 10:31 AM
sktraveler

Turnberry is great! I stayed there in February of this year and can't say enough about it. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are nice (marble, plenty of room and amenities). They have 2 great golf courses and nice tennis courts, plus a brand new spa on property. Then, they have a private beach club and marina--you never have to drive anywhere! It's across the street from a nice mall, too, if you like to shop. The restaurant (Veranda) is great--the food is wonderful and they have a nice out-door loggia where you can have breakfast and lunch. The staff is very professional and courteous--it's a non-tipping resort, so you pay a daily charge and then you don't tip for anything. It's nice because the staff will give you good service regardless. The pool area is nice--large, but not TOO big. All in all, I would recommend it to anyone who needs to relax and wants to be pampered!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Anita

Thanks for the info. folks! It's true that RC's are becoming very cookie cutter . . . but only in design and atmosphere and unfortunately NOT level of service. RC in Cancun is superb, as is the one in Boston. The RC in San Juan, on the other hand, was a disaster re. service. Well, I think I'm ruling out the Ritz. Turnberry sounds great, but does anyone have info. on Grove Isle? Or the Bentley? Thanks again!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Anita

We decided to be good and save money . . . we'll do upscale some other time. We decided to book at The Abbey hotel in South Beach. Looks like a neat little boutique hotel, and for $75 p.n., well, we can afford our anniversary dinner somewhere $$$

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 07:50 AM
bob

anita, what did you here bad about the kb ritz. i am going in 2 weeks and would appreciate any info about the new ritz. thanks

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Anita

Hi Bob!
Well, I have heard that the service is a little discombobulated (hmm, wonder if that's really a word). That's not surprising as it's so new they are probably still working out the kinks. Basically, the newer RC's are starting to feel more like an upscale Marriott vs a RC, i.e. beautiful but kind of charmless. Oh, and the one report in Rants and Raves said something about mediocre food. But then again, another opinion on R&R said it was pure heaven. The main reason we decided to switch was $$$. Yes, $139 is an awesome rate for a RC . . . but you know how they ten and twenty dollar you to death (twenty for mandatory valet parking, room service breakfast winds up at $50, etc etc). My husband and I decided that where we stay wasn't really the main focus of our trip . . . spending some time together away was. So we're going to do cool, funky, budget style travel this time. Yada yada yada. Geez, I'm really going on here.

Bottom line, I'm sure you'll have a great time and the RC will be very nice. Try to get on the concierge level . . . the 5 food presentations seriously cuts down on the food bill to the point where if you have another person with you the extra $$$ for the concierge level is well worth it. Have a great time, and don't forget to post here when you get back!