California state fair or Old Sacramento

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:44 PM
roxanne

California state fair or Old Sacramento

I will be in Sacramento for the day on Friday, and am trying to decide between the state fair and walking around Old Sacramento. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:54 PM
can'tsay

Never understood the draw of old sac but whatever. Old sac has a couple of museums and a bunch of shops, some restaurants and a riverboat cruise. But what is the destination of that cruise? Why up and down the river of course.
I go to the fair every year as it is clean and really well done. This year's theme is pretty goofy but other than that there is something to do for all ages and lots of entertainment. If you're a CA resident you'll be interested in the counties exhibits and it's a cool (air-wise) place to be. For those who pooh-pooh fairs and fairgoers, I have all my teeth, I live in a house and I drive an SUV.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:59 PM
janis

If you are in Sacramento all day you can do both easily.

Depending on your schedule: go to old Sacramento in the morning and head to the Railroad Museum first thing. Then wander around - be sure to walk along the river and have lunch.

Then go out to CalExpo (the Fair grounds) Friday is the opening day of the fair so it won't even open until noon. Then you can stay there as long as you want - if you are not into the carnival rides you can see everything in 5 to 8 hours. The exhibit halls close at 10PM and the carnival at midnight.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:07 PM
can'tsay

Janis is thinkin outta the box!!! Good plan. Rio City Cafe doesn't get such hot reviews. Ate there once it was fine. Good river view. Good food at Fat City. If you get bored anyway take the tunnel to the Downtown Plaza where you can shop and browse until the fair opens.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:25 PM
janis

Actually - Rio City Cafe is my place of choice for lunch in old Sacramento. The dining rooms are comfortable if it is too hot on the deck. The shades on the deck are very effective and the river breeze cools a little. The food is quite good - but can be on the pricey side.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:46 PM
roxanne

I should havementioned that we will have our 4 mos old with us. I was wondering if the fair woul be too hot. We're from New Orleansand my Mom who lives in Sacramento says we would be unimpressed with Old Sacramento. We're big Jazz Fest fans, do they have music at the fair?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:38 PM
xxx

Old Sac can be done in 1 hour. It's just a bunch of touristy shops...nothing spectacular. The fair has music every night. Check out their web site for specifics.