Reload this Page >

Wedding in Hawaii -- which hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Valerie

We're tentatively planning to get married in Hawaii in a ceremony for just the two of us. We're trying to decide between four hotels that offer wedding packages: Sheraton Kauai, Princeville Resort, Hyatt Regency Kauai, and Hilton Waikolea. Of these, the first three are appealing because we are particularly interested in staying on Kauai. From what we've heard it's the prettiest island and offers some interesting tours with underwater caves, something that particularly interests us. Sheraton is the cheapest, which is appealing to the extent that one of the reasons we're getting married in Hawaii is to save money while still doing something to commemorate the occasion. Princeville looks gorgeous, but seems much more expensive and doesn't seem to have much to do for non-golfers. Hyatt seems to be the best combination of what we're looking for -- beauty and things to do at not quite the money of Princeville. However, we've seen some really bad things posted about Hyatt on these boards. Lastly, Hilton Waikolea on the Big Island seems to have most everything we are looking for in a resort (and a really neat wedding package), but obviously is not on Kauai. Any input would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has experience with weddings at these hotels. Thanks.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:10 AM
phil

Valerie,
Congratulations!

I recently stayed at the Princeville and it is a very nice hotel. But you are right, it is not cheap.

The location, in my opinion, is significantly nicer than the Hyatt. At PV, you overlook the Bali Hai Mountain (which can have several waterfalls) and you are right on the Bay. TIt is the spot on the Isalnd to watch the Sunset.

In terms of things to do, I'm not sure what you are looking for as it has a pool and kayaks for the bay. However, I would think most people that go to Kauai would be looking for things away from their hotels.

Whatever hotel you choose, good luck and enjoy the island.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Lorraine

My family & I stayed at the Princeville and there was a wedding when we where there. It was outside, near the beach, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The scenery was incredible. I cannot possibly think of a more lovely spot to get married than at Princeville. They had the ceremony in the late afternoon when the sun was setting. It was very beautiful and romantic. While the Hyatt is nice too, I would say the setting for Princeville is far more appropriate.
It is more expensive but worth it. You pay for what you get. The service/food will be excellent. The rooms are lovely.
If I could, I would get married there.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Kate

I saw 11 weddings (10 days) on last trip so realize you will see many many other weddings on the beach. You will see even more wedding couples coming and going to ceremony. I love the Waikoloa and the wedding chapel is cute but is surrounded by huge glass windows to provide entertainment for other patrons. I would hire a minister/rabbi/what ever and go to a non-swimming beach. Have your wedding in private. Otherwise you get all of the sand invested dripping wet crowd gawking on. I remember seeing two weddings once, taking place on opposite ends of the same small beach, a little cheesy I am sorry to say.

The big Island would also be wonderfully romantic if you break up your stay to include Waipio Valley and the Volcano at night. There are also other beautiful out door attractions up by the volcano. Kauai is also gorgeous but remember the stormy season when booking there. All of this of course IMHO.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:19 PM
kammy

I vote for the Hyatt--good weather/beautiful grounds/younger crowd than Princeville.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:34 AM
IB

I spent time on my honeymoon in Hawaii. We stayed at the Princeville on Kauai and loved it. The north part of the island feels less touristy, the beaces are quieter and there are so many of them. We were there in August, the weather was perfect, and the beach at Princeville practically had noone on it, though the hotel was sold out. From what I have heard the Hyatt has tons of kids running around. There are plenty of things to do at and around the Princeville - golf, helicoptor rides, kayaking, hikes, spa. Worth the extra money not to stay at a Hyatt, plus the Princeville has these "cool" windows in the shower.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Judy

Just saw a show on the Travel channel on Hawaii. There was a segment on weddings at the Mauna Lani Resort on the Big Island. They had wonderful sites and set-ups for weddings, and they looked fairly private. Just my two cents.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:21 PM
lindafromNJ

I got married in a place called Kona Village on the Big Island. It is the most romantic spot I have ever been to. You can marry on the beach on on a lagoon overlooking the water. We choose thee lagoon. Instead of a hotel you stay in Thatched Huts and have all the luxurys. They have 3 meals included, a breach and great snorkeling on the premises. There are some great spots on the big Island and also on Kauai. It would be nice if you could go to both islands. How long are you going for? the Hyatt in Kauai is beautiful. Greats grounds and spa also Princeville's scenery of the mountains is incredible. Good Luck let us know your choice.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:29 PM
dana

I was married at the Hyatt Maui, and I realize Maui is not one of your choices, but I did just want to say that the Hyatt did a beautiful job with our wedding and made it a very special day. Now all that aside, given my choice of wedding sites, hands-down I would pick Princeville in Kauai! It's heaven on earth, and yes, it rains a lot there, but usually at evening time the rains seem to quit and the sky opens up with beautiful sunlight. Gorgeous. We honeymooned in Princeville after marrying in Maui, and I can tell you, the weddings that I saw at the Hanalei Bay Resort which is right next door to the Princeville Hotel, were simply beautiful You might want to check out the Hanalei Bay REsort's web-site. They have a very extensive wedding site, because I looked into it for a friend last year, and you get all the same atmosphere as you would by marrying at Princeville Hotel, but a significatly cheaper price.
As for the Hilton Waikoloa, it's a nice resort area, but no comparison to the beauty of Kauai, and I was not impressed with the wedding ceremonies that were taking place at Hilton Waikoloa. It was sort of touristy. Seemed like being in Disneyland or something. Nope, Kauai is the place.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Kristin

I just returned from my honeymoon in Kauai and Maui. We stayed at the Hyatt and loved it!! I also have friends who stayed at the Princeville on their honeymoon, so here is my comparison (and I'll let you know up front that we preferred the Hyatt after going to visit the Princeville). Your choice really depends on what you are looking for and what time of year you are going. I'll start with the time of year. The Princeville is on the North Shore, which is the rainier part of the island. As I recall, the winter is the rainy season, so you might want to go with the Hyatt if you're getting married during the winter. The weather also impacts the ocean. In the winter, the ocean on the North Shore is rough and the ocean on the South Shore is calm, and this reverses in the summer. A frequent Hawaii traveler could tell you how much it actually rains. If you're planning to do a lot of snorkeling and scuba diving, just make sure you'll be close that go to the places you want to go. As for the hotels themselves, the Hyatt is very Hawaiian. The scenery and the grounds are just gorgeous! I got my pictures back yesterday and I couldn't believe how many I took of the hotel and grounds alone. The Princeville is beautiful in a different way. It has much more of a formal feel--the lobby has something like 18,000 square feet of marble. To me, the Princeville was a very European hotel, whereas the Hyatt strives to be very Hawaiian. I did read though that the Princeville has taken steps to cultivate a more relaxed atmosphere. Well, like I said at the beginning, we preferred the Hyatt. My friend who stayed at the Princeville said if they go back, they'll stay at the Hyatt. Either way, I don't think you can make a bad choice--both hotels are beautiful and Kauai is amazing!

By the way, what bad things did you see posted about the Hyatt? Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to respond directly as I was just there two weeks ago.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Valerie

Thanks everyone for your advice. Based on what we've read, we've decided against Hilton Waikoloa and will definitely do Kauai. The kayaking, snorkeling, and (I think) caves should provide plenty of things to do apart from just hanging around the pool (and beach?) wherever we stay. We're strongly considering Princeville, despite the cost, but are also still looking at Hyatt and at Hanelai Bay (its wedding packages are extremely reasonable, although from its web site I don't believe it's directly on the beach). Anyway, thanks again -- and any further information or advice would still be welcome.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Valerie

P.S. We read in the hotels section of this website that one woman had problems with mice and roaches at Hyatt on her honeymoon, and several other people cited bad service and general noisiness. It's strange -- half the people there seem to love Hyatt, but the other half seem to hate it.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Valerie

P.P.S. Just read the rants and raves comments on Hanelai Bay and will not risk going there. I guess it's primarily between Princeville (seems to be the best), Hyatt, and possibly Sheraton.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:32 PM
freewoman

My daughter was married last December on Kauai. We stayed at the Aston Poipu Kai because we wanted a condo.

The wedding was provided by Affordable Weddings of Hawaii who I found on the web. They were absolutely wonderful. I can't say enough great things about them. The ceremony was held on Shipwreck Beach next to the Hyatt. (The grounds at the Hyatt are unbelievably gorgeous) We took many pictures on their grounds and the photographer took them around the island for more photos. Dr. Karen Russ owns the company and officiated the ceremony. Her son was the photographer and her son-in-law was the vidiographer. (It is truly a family business that was started by her father). They met us in Honolulu during our layover on the way over to Kauai and finalized our plans. Then on wedding day they flew to Kauai from Oahu and arrived quite early with the flowers and the wedding went off without a hitch, complete with a guitar soloist who sang the Hawaian Wedding Song and a native girl who danced to the music. Then Dr. Russ' son met us at the Honolulu airport on our return flight to deliver our photographs and they mailed the video a few weeks later. We could not have been more pleased with the whole package. And the kids truly had a wedding to remember and tell their future children about.

Congratulations and good luck.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:24 PM
Leslie

I was married on Kauai last December. Our wedding was coordinated by Portraits of Hawaii (www.portraitsofhawaii.com) located in Poipu. Their photographer is EXCELLENT-this was an important factor to us. Carol Ann does a great job of getting creative shots. We loved the beach shots at sunset, and the black and white. We had our ceremony at the Koloa church, but they can arrange many other locations. They can also arrange music, catering, flowers, videography, etc. The wedding coordinator is easy to work with via email, although harder to contact by phone since she's often out coordinating. For us, they coordinated the flowers, minister, videography, cake, and wedding appointment with the state. If you're not committed to using one of the hotels, I would highly recommend them.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 04:54 PM
ttt

You know the wedding on the beach thing is so common place in Hawaii it should be located next to the guy photographing people with the parrots. Consider that you very well may be on a beach next to someone else getting married. I really wish the state of Hawaii would start restricting this. I am sorry to be sour about this but it is all over the place. What happen to a nice stroll on the beach for people who are not getting married.
You walk along and you feel like you are destroying this couples moment by having one of your own. There is always always always someone getting married, it has become a nuisance. I am sure it is endearing to those of you coming once to Hawaii it is a novelty on the beach. It is quite a different story when you see it every night.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Valerie

Actually, we're not planning to get married on the beach -- there are a lot of other places to get married on Kauai. But they probably should designate some beaches for weddings and some for other activities.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Lisa

No one has said much about the Sheraton Kauai---any feedback?

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 03:26 PM
YS

I've stayed at the Shearaton - nice location, but the hotel itself is nothing special. Overpriced and not wery good restaurant. I would return on a very nice deal, but would consider some other properties.
The Poipu side of Kauai is sunnier and not rainy, therefore I would vote for the Hayatt, however Princeville is also very nice. I agree on a "older" growd there ("golf in Hawaii" kind of people).
Go for Hayatt!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Nancee

Hi Valerie,

First of all CONGRADULATIONS! I am in the same boat as you, trying to plan the perfect wedding in the perfect place, Hawaii. I chose Maui, for my own personal reasons (I was born there!), but I have been barraged by too much information. What I did find helpful was a website called "ultimatewedding.com". Look under their message board, in the subcatagory "destination and long-distance weddings" (or something like that). I found alot of brides to be giving each other lots of really helpful advice on what (and what not) to do, who to use, etc.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -