Mandalay Bay vs. Luxor

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mandalay Bay vs. Luxor

We are going to a convention in Vegas in January and are deciding between Mandalay Bay and Luxor. We stayed at Bellagio last year, and we want to try a different place this year. Has anyone stayed at either or both of these hotels? Comments on the suites and or the spa? Thanks for your input!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I've stayed at Luxor. Pretty neat hotel, with all rooms in the pyramid having an inside view. You can get dizzy looking down from the high floors. Downside is all "inclinators", not elevators because they go up at an angle, are in the 4 corners of the pyramid. Can be quite a walk, depending on where your room is compared to parking lot. I would stay there again.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:40 AM

There is no comparison as they are in totally different classes. The rooms in Luxors tower are newer and nicer than the pyramid and they have a room with a spa in front of a strip view window.

Mandalay is very much a resort and a class ahead of Luxor. It is usually not a big deal to stay in one and walk the tunnel into the other but it was recently closed for construction on the MB shopping area, not sure if it has reopened.

If you've stayed at the Bell and expect a similar experience, Luxor will probably be disappointing.

The spa at Mandalay was a little on the snobby side, very nice tho', never went to the Luxor spa.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Visit Luxor but stay at Mandalay Bay. I stayed at Luxor once but have returned to M.B. to stay there several times. Love the place. As stated above, there's no comparison between the two, and M.B. is certainly closer in quality to Bellagio. (I also love the Venetian).
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the above comments~

I stayed at Bellagio last year for 5 nights and did the spa daily. It was great, but it was still "Vegas" (as it should be), and didn't compare to the top notch hotels & spas we've stayed elsewhere in the world. Yes, it was grand, but when you're serving thousands of people a hotel can only do so much..... So, when traveling to Vegas we appreciate it for what it is. We enjoy a variety of experiences and they don't always have to be top notch as in LUXE (just FUN & interesting); we go elsewhere for that! I checked out the rates for the Venetian and they were astronomical. Much more expensive than Bellagio.....wonder if those rates ever go down as every time I've ever checked them they were high.....

Any more comments on Luxor and/or Mandalay Bay? Favorite spa treatments and/or therapists? Favorite restaurants at those hotels?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM

We stayed at the Luxor in July and absolutely loved it!! During our week we visited every big hotel on the strip and my two favorites were Paris and Luxor. Very over the top and fun, not stuffy at all.

Mandalay Bay has awesome restaurants though. Nothing too exciting at Luxor.

We stayed in the pyramid so we could say we stayed in the pyramid. The room was nice and the view of the mountains was beautiful.

I would go stay at the Luxor again in a heartbeat.

Have a great time!!