Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mammoth Lakes and Death Valley - accom. advice

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are stayin 2 nights each at Mammoth Lakes and Death Valley, on route to Las Vegas. Looking at some of the condominiums at Mammoth Lakes either Juniper Springs or Eagle Run - anyone stayed there?

Also I need to know about Furnace Creek - is there much difference in the accommodations at the Inn and the Ranch. Ranch is much cheaper (is it equipped with hairdryer), is it worth paying extra for Inn (and why?). Can you use facilities for both if staying at the other. Does that make sense? Cheers
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Hi Lynn. I've stayed at Juniper Springs for a week each of the last three summers. Love it. We rent through a private owner who owns many condos in ski areas in the west. The first year we rented directly from the management co though.

What would you like to know?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Here's a comparison between Juniper Springs and Eagle Run>

Juniper Springs is situated right next to the eagle chair lift which does operate beyond the winter. Juniper Springs is operated much like a hotel with a central lobby which includes a front desk and little cafe. All the units are in the building with access from interior halls. It has 3 jacuzzis, a pool and exercise room. Also there are BBQs in the pool area for use by guests. The units vary in size from one bedroom to three. We've stayed in the one bedroom which also has a pullout couch. The two bedroom has a king bed, large adjacent bathroom and tv in room. The other room has two singles and there is still a pullout couch. All the units have a fireplace and nice sized patio with table and chairs. The living room has a comfortable couch and chair and the eating area has a table for 4 but has extra chairs in each of the bedrooms that can be moved into the dingin area. Kitchen is full stocked with utensils and cookware.

Eagle Run is very new. It is above the hill from Juniper Springs so that if you are on the chair lift you go by the units. It is not arranged like Juniper Springs at all. More like 4 or so units per building. They have more than one smaller pools and jacuzzis spread out among the buildings. It seemed very private but not as convenient as JS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Sorry. In my post it looked like I had only stayed in the one bedroom but we've really stayed in both a 1 and 2 bedroom place. We've only stayed on the ground floor in units that face a grassy area that looks up to the Sunstone Lodge which is betweeen JS and Eagle Run. It seemed like they were still building eagle run last summer when we were there.

A couple of things that bugged me last summer:

More crowded at JS than previous years so more noise. The balcony above has wood slats that release dust onto your head if people are outside the same time you are. No air conditioning which we needed this last year because there was no evening breeze and it got warm. Actually couldn't sleep very well.

Good things: Front desk is great. Bell hop remembered us from previous year. Plenty of jacuzzi space. Great exercise room.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:15 PM

At Furnace Creek, the inn is a quiet, sedate setting with an upscale restaurant. The ranch is a motel style resort with a general store, RV park, and family style restaurant.

The golf course is located at the ranch and is very reasonably-priced. I drive out there at least once a year to play it.

Let your pocketbook be your guide. The inn is usually lots more expensive than the ranch.

For more info go to www.furnacecreekranch.com
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all that great info Suzie, I'll print it off. A few more queries if you don't mind, bear in mind we will be there 11 & 12th of October - I assume this will be a quieter time before ski-ing season, we did plan on booking a 2bed/2bath unit and would love a view if possible. Did both JS and Eagler Run have hairdriers and washing machines? How about getting to town if we want a drink, would it have to be by taxi? Is there bars at the actual 2 resorts (on site)? in your opinion which is the nicer properties of the two and any recommendations as to which unit to book? Cheers, great help. Lynn
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:55 PM

OK let's see. Washers and dryers are on each floor of JS I believe. The unit we've rented the past 2 years has the laundry right next door. They have hair dryers in the bathrooms.

We always drove ourselves around. Didn't do a bunch of drinking though so no need for taxis. I don't recall seeing any taxis actually!!! The cafe in JS is really small more like coffee and maybe wine. Not open late. Town is close, just down the hill and Whiskey Creek is close by as well. During the day we rode our bikes to the down town area but going back up the hill is a drag. Nights seemed really quiet but it probably isn't that way during the winter.

We preferred JS over both Sunstone and Eagle Run but you know how it is, you go with what you know. We like the set up there and the convenient underground parking. Here's a link to the guy we rent from. I think he has more than 1 unit. We've been staying in 230 for the last couple of years but there really isn't a view from that unit. http://www.summitgateway.com/default.htm

Sunstone seemed to have lots of privacy because there were so few people staying there. The jacuzzi and pool were totally empty at the main building. As I said I don't think Eagle Run was finished last summer.
Good Luck

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:21 PM
m367

Since you will be at Mammoth between seasons, you could request a condo and get most anything you would desire. If you would like a view, I'm sure you can make changes when you arrive. Ask to see the unit first. Juniper Springs is a large complex.

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Lynn, you may be interested in my recent post on 24 hours in Death Valley. You can find it by clicking on my name. Hope it helps.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:18 PM

We stayed two nights at the Furnace Creek Inn. The room was decent, nothing special. The air conditioner was quite noisy and kept us awake but really couldn't totally cool the room -- well, what should we expect in 114 degree temperatures? Our meal there was very disappointing. We ate down at the Ranch (the cheaper place) the second night and actually liked it much, much better, regardless of price. I didn't see the rooms there, but frankly, I'd have been just as happy staying at the Ranch as to stay at the Inn.