Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which island for young children... Maui, Kauai or Big Island???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Hawaii with our four children ranging in age (at the time of the trip) from 2 1/2 to 13. Which island would have the most activities to keep our little ones busy? We love to snorkle, explore and have fun on the beach as well as hit the "touristy" things to do. I would also appreciate any suggestions for 2 or 3 bedroom condos. I've looked through guide books but would like some input from someone who has had a wonderful Hawaiian vacation with young children.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 12:26 AM

We faced the same choice for our upcoming trip (family trip with young children). My wife and I have visited all 3 islands, spending a good deal of time on Maui, which gets my vote hands down. The better hotels on all islands have very good programs for children-though it sounds as though you've discarded that option for a condominium.
Kauai and the Big Island are less developed and populated. Maui- more developed, more energy and, in places, quite densely populated. The Big Island has fewer (in my opinion very few) good beaches. Much of it, mile after mile, looks like broken up asphalt. And, while we love the natural beauty of Kauai (most), we felt our children were not ready to enjoy that much of each other while making their own fun outdoors. If you choose Kauai, try Suite Paradise (moderate to luxury). Large, well appointed and kept beachfront (some say the water is too rough for non-expert swimmers) condos in sunny Poipu next door to the Hyatt. On Maui, we liked the Wailea Ekahi. Beautiful, though quiet, area, great swimming and strolling beaches, shopping and whale-watching (November through March). Kaanapali (predominately quite expensive to very expensive) and Kihei (moderate to luxury) have good to great beaches and condominiums on and near the water.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM

I would recommend Kauai for a laid-back, swimming and snorkeling vacation! Our 5 year old and 10 year old loved Kauai. We spent part of every day on the beach. Their favorite beaches were Salt Pond Beach Park and Ke'e Beach. Lydgate Beach was also very nice for very small children and has a good playground. We stayed at Koloa Landing Cottages near Poipu and were very pleased with the two bedroom, two bath cottage. With a separate cottage, I never worried that my sometimes noisy kids would bother the neighbors.
We also spent four day on the Big Island. While Volcanoes National Park was interesting, the kids missed the beaches on Kauai. And Waikiki was not a place for kids, as far as we all were concerned.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:57 PM

A couple of years ago my husband, my son and I went to Maui. We went in a large group with my sister, her husband and two kids, my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and son, my other sister-in-law and her two boys. The kids ranged in age from 9 months to 11years old.
We all stayed at the Noelani Condominiums which we loved and I highly recommend. Every family got their own unit and it worked out well. They do not have their own beach, but they have two nice oceanview pools and are very conviently located. It's only about 10 min. to Lahaina, 7 min. to Napili and 12 min to Kapalua. Very reasonable too and every unit is oceanview.

All of the kids had fun. There is lots for them to do: The Aquarium, the Sugar Cane Train, Napili Bay, snorkeling, (the younger ones got the boogie boards with the little "window" in them), Lahaina.

I'm sure no matter which island you decide on,they'll have fun. A pool, nice beach and some sand toys and they're set! Have fun!
Sandy
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 08:13 PM

We stayed on Kauai in 2000 with our (then) 5 & 2 1/2 year old. They had a great time, and it was beautiful. It is true that there isn't as many "touristy" things to do.... but, that was a plus for us. We loved Lydgate Park (rocked in snorkeling pools, and Kee Beach. It completely depends on what type of vacation you are looking for.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Kal

Also on Kauai, just a short trip down from Lydgate is the Kamalani Playground.
Looked pretty awesome for a kid to play on.
They were also putting in a paved bike/walking path starting around the Holiday Inn Sunspree (or whatever it's new name is) and going in towards Lihue.

There may also be some sort of kid's interactive science museum in Kapaa near the Safeway.
Mahalo,
Kidless Kal
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:20 PM

The one closest to Disney World. I don't care which island you go to, a 2 1/2 year old is not going to know the difference and will probably never forgive you for taking it on such a long plane ride. Sorry to be such a downer.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:51 PM

Pumpy,
Gosh, you're probably right! I wish I had thought of it when I brought my 18month old! I'm sure I'll be paying big therapy bills since he'll never forgive us for dragging him to Hawaii! Yikes, now what about all those 5 hour car rides to see his grandparents! Oh no, what rotten parents we are...
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:36 PM

Ok, I've taken my now 2-1/2 year old to Hawaii 5 times. She has always enjoyed the plane ride, so don't worry about that. She loves it there. We've gone to Kauai and Maui with her. Last year we went with friends and their 2 kids to Kauai, had a great time, we stay at the Embassy Resort..condos....in Poipu, it is right next to the Hyatt. The pool is very kid friendly, and the beach is about a 2 minute ride, it has great snorkling. THere are places nearby to shop and eat, both affordable and pricey. Since the little one we spend more time in condo's now than hotels...I love having the kitchen for meals. They also have hot tubs and bar-b ques that we used quite often while we were there, they have baby sitters, and the best thing is mom and/or dad can walk over to the Hyatt for dinner or a spa treatment while you are there.