MAMA's, CAPISCHE, SEAWATCH OR SPAGO'S

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the highlights of our trips are not going to restaurants, we like to go once perhaps twice to a really lovely restaurant. We've been to Seawatch(unsure of this name, the restaurant at Wailea golfcourse), Mama's, Sorrento's and have heard that Spago's and Capische are lovely as well. Any comments with respect to comparisons in ambience, view, price and quality of the food? We really enjoyed the Seawatch and Mama's but think it might be nice to go to another restaurant this yr.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Ag3046

I do adore Mama's. The fish is always superb. But last time I was there (July) we agreed that the entrees were just too expensive. I prefer sitting at the bar and having an appetizer or two and a drink, but the entree just seemed so pricey for it all.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Try the Waterfront at Ma’alaea we sat on the terrace. Seawatch does have a great view! Gerrards in Lahaina is a romantic spot - no view but great food. Here's my February Fodor's trip report link - most of the places where we ate are included. http://tinyurl.com/3y68ue
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Spago's. The service and the food is spectacular. Spago's was our favorite meal in Maui - and we tried Mama's, Sorrento's, Nick's, and the General Store.

When you make your reservation, you may want to request a table with a view as we did. Otherwise, there are some tables that don't have much of a view.

The service, food, and wine were top notch. It was a splurge for sure, but worth every penny.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM

I love these puzzles. I come to the US forum direct, so have no way of knowing what state this post was posted under. This was fun because I know restaurants by all those names, but not all in the same city. Good thing so many Hawaiian experts are here who knew what you were talking about.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM

We were in Maui in March. My favorite restaurant on the trip was Seawatch. What a beautiful view of the sunset - the food was delicious. We also ate at Spago. It was very nice, but for the mood and the food/price, I would take Seawatch.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Have you tried the Feast at Lele? You get a wonderful multi-course meal from Pacific'O combined with an impressive luau show. Each course and dance is based on the cuisine and dance style of a different Polynesian culture. All with the backdrop of a beautiful sunset over the Pacific Ocean.

Mama's doesn't hold a candle to that.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM

One factor is which side of the island you'll be on. For me driving from Wailea or Lahaina side to Mama's or Hailiimaile General Store would be a little far, although lunch while on that side would be okay.

Our favorite for view and food for a reasonable price is the Seawatch Restaurant. If you want to try something new, David Paul's in Lahaina had great food and service (no view). We've wanted to try Gerard's but were unable to get reservations, so it's popularity says something.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I've not eaten at Spago's or Capische, but of the following three: Mama's, Seawatch or Nick's Fish Market, I'd choose Nick's! They were all good but Nick's was best IMO.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
kealalani

I'd go with Spago or Nicks if you are staying in Wailea. I've enjoyed both on many occassions.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM

We've been to Mama's, Nick's, and Pacific'O. Of these 3, Pacific'O had the best view. The food and service were great at all, and the prices about the same (In 2006, roughly $125 for two, with 1 glass of wine each, shared app, shared dessert, 2 entrees).