Mall of America

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Glendene Stillwell

Mall of America

Am planning a trip to the Mall of America in June or July. Any suggestions??? Also any info on close by hotels would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Carmen

Suggestions for Mall of America? Bring comfortable walking shoes and a healthy dose of patience. It's huge and usually quite crowded. That's not to imply you won't have a great time....it's a very worthwhile destination if you're a mall fan. As for hotels, many chain hotels are reasonably close by....there's a Doubletree across the parking lot, Sofitel a short drive away, an Embassy Suites/Crown Sterling not far away and lots of smaller Days Inn, Hampton Inn type places around. There aren't any real high-end hotels anywhere nearby. As I recall, a new hotel opened across the street to the south within the past year or two...similar to a Sumner Suites type of place. There's a MOA website and toll free #...call them and they'll give you additional details. Have a great time.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:50 PM
sharon

There is also a Hyatt, Hilton and Radison Hotel not far from the MOA. Also, any hotel listed as an airport hotel will be close since the MOA is practically across the highway. Most hotels will shuttle you to the MOA if you don't have a car. The California Cafe has good food-put your name in early to avoid the wait. Also, don't spend all your time inside. Minneapolis is a beautiful city in the summer with lots to see and do. Don't miss the city lakes with the extensive path system connecting lots of the city. You can rent bikes, roller blades, canoes or just walk the area. It is just nice to hang out there too. The Uptown area is fun and near the lakes. Funky little shops and restaruants. Have fun. It is a little cold here now but will be great in June/July!

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Cali

I totally agree with the above post. There are lots of places to stay near Mall of America and the Airport Area and you should plan go around the lakes and all too. Mpls. is a great city and has a pretty lakes area with lots of people enjoying them. Lake Harriet also has a band shell and sometimes has concerts going on when you are over there. It is such a pretty area. If you like Malls you might also enjoy Southdale in Edina. It has some great stores too. I also love going downtown Mpls. and shopping at Daytons and some of the stores in Gaviidae Common. You might also like to go to the Wayzata Area around Lake Minnetonka. I have enjoyed some of the shops over there too. WE also like Stillwater down on the St. Croix River which runs into the Mississippi. Have a great time.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 08:07 PM
Chuck

Try to avoid the "Megamall" on the weekends, if possible. It's really not that bad on weekdays, day or night (exc. Friday nite). Downtown is also worth a trip (not crowded on weekends!) and has much better restaurants than the megamall. It's about a $20 cab to downtown, but the hotels may offer transportation there also...Shop till you drop! And no sales tax in MN on clothing!

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Brooke

The mall was great. Ended up stuck there in a snowstorm last year right after New Years on the way home from Austria. We were stranded for
three days. Try to explain to your boss being stuck in Minneapolis at a hotel across the street from the Mall of America! HA! They both included breakfast too.

Anyway we stayed at the Homewood Suites for two nights and the Country Inn and Suites for a night. Both are the closest hotels to the Mall. You do not even need the shuttle. You can just walk across the street and the Mall is there.

We went back in Feb (already had flight booked before the standed flight) and stayed at the Doubletree. It was fine but the other two hotels rooms and service was much nicer. It was also about a three block walk - a little further. But I suppose that does not really matter in the summer.