Search

Making the most of on-site WDW accomodation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the most of on-site WDW accomodation

Hi,
We have a vacation planned to Orlando next month, but have booked 2 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge as a treat to ourselves. Can anyone advise on what activities to undertake to really make these few days extra special, and also, how best to take advantage of staying in WDW accomodation?
Many Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM

We like to spend our short visits at Disney by visiting their hotels we haven't stayed at before (since we like to stay at a different one every time we go there). A pretty time to do this would be at Christmas time when all the hotels are decorated. If you have children, you'll probably want to vist Blizzard Beach, etc.
A tip for Animal Kingdom: You might see more animals by the pool area in late afternoon than near your hotel room in the morning. Ask when you check in. Also get your Guest Notice for your dashboard.
If you have dinner at Ohanas at Polynesian Hotel, you can see the fireworks display right from your table. In April, that would probably be about 8:30 or 9.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM

I can't remember what they are called but there are times (at least there used to be) when certain parks open early or close later strictly for guests staying on grounds. Also, don't forget that any purchases you make (since your stay is short, this might be true only on the first day) can be sent back to your room - no lugging them around!

I spent a week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge a few years ago and LOVED it! It is beautiful and the more upscale restaurant is quite good. I have been back to WDW at least twice since then but loved my stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge the most.

Nina - will you be going with children? Or is this an adults only trip?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Magic Hours - I think that is what they call it when the park is open earlier and later - it varies -
you can find out on their web site or on the following Disney sites that were recommended to me when we planned our trip in January and they were invaluable -
allearsnet.com and disboards.com
mouseplanet.com

there are others too, if you put "Disneyworld" or WDW or Animal Kingdom - into the search bar, there are a ton of great posts about planning yuor time in Disney and the AK -
have fun !
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

It will just be an adults trip. We'll be renting a local Villa for 2 weeks, but just fancied a couple of days doig something different. Have stayed at a number of WDW properties before (Carribean Beach, Coronado Springs) but fancied treating ourselves to one ofthe higher end properties!!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Look at mouseplanet.com or allears.net for specific tips for that resort. I know that they do a special animal tour if you are staying at that resort, but you have to reserve it. Also be sure to make a reservation at the restaurant( I can't remember the name but the above two restaurants will have it) since i have heard it is really special. Check out the trip reports on mouseplanet for people who have stayed at the Lodge for other suggestions.

Although it might be a little late, check on disboards.com to see if anyone has any space in a boat for an illuminations tour or fireworks nighttime tour. I did that with my daughter two years ago and it was very special.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Be sure to make a reservation for Boma restaurant in your hotel. Wonderful buffet with African theme, some very nice S. African wines. Also, although the timing didnt work out for us, the Animal Kingdom park has some behind the scenes tours, eg. how the animals are cared for, etc.