Major Interstate Closure - I-80, UT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites planning to travel between SLC and Park City over this weekend 8/9 and next weekend 8/16 need to know!

I-80 westbound will be CLOSED completely from 4pm 8/9 (Sat) to 4pm 8/10 (Sun) for bridge replacement.

Next weekend they do the eastbound side. Closed down from 7pm Sat to 7pm Sun. Different hours are to accomodate a concert at Deer Valley. Good planning, a rarity.

Check out the ut.gov/commuterlink page for details.

Alternate routes are through Weber Canyon (east of Ogden) or through Provo Canyon past Sundance Ski Resort and the Heber Valley. Add at least 1 hour from SLC to Park City for either of these.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Well, late yesterday afternoon (4pm) in spite of a huge publicity campaign and endless news bulletins, lots of people driving westbound on I-80 (Utahns and truckers) were STUNNED to find I-80 closed!

Everyone had to turn around at Parley's Summit and travel back east to the 2 alternate routes. took them about 2 hours extra to get to SLC.

There is one other alternate route -the shortest way is to go up Big Cottonwood Canyon and over Guardsman's Pass to Park City. Narrow, windy and paved most of the way, but not all. A regular car can do it since you have to go slow anyway. Very beautiful drive.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Same thing in the Seattle area. I-405 will be closed for the next three weekends, a fact that has been widely reported, and the brain-dead are shocked to learn about it and jam up the alternate routes.

I think it is sad that the majority of US citizens get their news from the TV instead of the print media, but the idiots don't even pay attention to the TV!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Hey Bobmrg,

I don't have a clue as to where or what I405 is.

But if "the brain-dead are shocked to learn about it and jam up the alternate routes." then where else would your brain-dead pass on?

Curious.

b_b
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM

I-405 is a bypass around Seattle. Press and TV coverage have noted that many (not all) motorists jamming up the alternates were not aware of the closure. I coulod have been clearer in my initial post.