Maine in March

Oct 9th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Maine in March

My wife and I live in Colorado. We both have always wanted to visit Maine. I was thinking about suprising her with a trip in March. A couple of questions. How is Maine in March? And could anybody recommend an area to visit. I found kennepuk (I am pretty sure I spelled that wrong) portland and bar harbor. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank You
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:26 PM

This is my favorite part of Maine. Although in March, odds are there will be plenty of snow and quite a few businesses will be closed. June - July is the best time to go to Maine, IMHO.
Enjoy the site!http://www.getawayguides.com/maine/b...diversions.htm

Oct 9th, 2003, 01:05 PM

March in Maine is still pretty much winter - snow and ice, not too much open. By late March you may get some days in the low 50's, however. Kennebunk and Bar harbor are both very nice resort towns. Kennebunk is noted for it's beautiful sandy beaches (rare in Maine), and quaint downtown. Bar Harbor is near Acadia National Park which is one of the most scenic areas of the East Coast. Portland is Maine's biggest city - nice waterfront, interesting restaurants and shops. all these areas can get a little crowded in mid summer, but in March will be quite empty.
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Probably the worst possible month to visit Maine. No sun, just clouds. Ski areas closing due to the melting. Roads are full of filthy dirty slush and muck.

March comes in like a lion and goes out like a mess.
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:21 PM

I agree with the other posters about visiting Maine in March. It is definitely winter in March (but maybe that is what you are looking for). April can be cold, too, and sometimes with snow showers. My daughter went to college in Maine for 4 years so I know that April can be very iffy. Even Memorial Day! When she graduated this past Memorial Day weekend, it was cold and rainy most of the weekend. But May can also be pleasant and sunny, too. I would recommend visiting from June through October. The Maine coast is beautiful but if you want to swim, the water is cold. Fall is beautiful! I think all 3 areas you mentioned are lovely and different from each other. Portland also has a great art museum and a fun and interesting indoors Farmers Market. You definitely have to see the coast of Maine!!
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:12 AM

Those of us who live here usually try to get out of Maine in March! Unless you're a skier or there is no other time you can take vacation, pick another month. September is my personal favorite - warm days and cool evenings but the best part is the lack of crowds. If you must come in March, base yourselves in Portland where everything will be open. You can day trip to Kennebunk and Boothbay Harbor if you want to get the feel of little seaside spots.
Oct 10th, 2003, 04:38 AM

They say there are only 3 seasons in Maine...winter, summer and mud. March is the beginning of mud season.