Search

Maine in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine in June

We will be driving from Burlington Vermont on Thursday June 23 and have to drive back on Monday June 27. What should we make sure we see and/or do in Maine in that short period of time?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:30 PM

You should make sure to bring along a good strong bug repellant based on DEET; that's black fly season.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM

I was in Maine at that time last year and bugs were non-existent, it all depends on when the spring thaw is I guess.

Your question is a little too general. Where will you be staying in Maine? What do you like to do? Hike? Shop? Fine-dine? Fish?

Depending on where exactly you'll be...I'd say some of the must-stops in Maine include Moosehead Lake Region ; Acadia National Park; Camden/Rockport; York/Ogunquit; Sebago Lake; Freeport Shopping; oh, and Boothbay Harbor for the Cabbage Island Clambake!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM

Here's the web site for last year's weekly Black Fly Report map. As you can see, it varies a lot from one location to another, though I think they're worse inland.

http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly.html
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:57 AM

I would check a calendar of events. If you were coming earlier in June I would recommend the Searsport/Blue Hill area and the lupine festival. Small festival but the flowers were beautiful. Camden harb is always beautiful. If you like art, I would suggest the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland. If you like old cards, the Owls Head Museum nearby and the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor. One year we attended a logging day at a small logging museum in Leonards Mills near Bangor. If you like shopping, head to Freeport. No matter where you go, eat lobster.