Search

Maine help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:34 AM
emma

Maine help!

We are driving from Richmond, VA. to Bar Harbor. We are planning on spending the first night in Portsmouth, NH this Friday.
We don't have to be in Bar Harbor till Monday.
So, we have 2 nights to spend enroute from Portsmouth, NH to Bar Harbor. Where should we stop & stay? Have 2 kids, ages 10 & 12.
Like pretty scenery (nature). Not into shopping. Thanks!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Liz

Don't know how important it is for you to get to Portsmouth, but we like to stop at Dinosaur State Park near Hartford Conn. on our trips from the Phila. area to Maine or Vermont.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:45 PM
emma

ttt

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Larry

You could go to the Rachel Carlson nature reserve on Rt. 9 on the way to Kennebunkport; walk the Marginal Way in Ogunquit; go to POrtland and visit the Old Port, the Casco Bay Islands, the lighthouses in York and Cape Elizabeth, the art museum in Portland, LL Bean in Freeport (even for non-shoppers it's fun).

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Sharon

Spend a night in Camden. It's a beautiful town and take a drive up Mt Battie for incredible views.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Jean - X-Maniac

I used to live in Maine - if you go up the coast - i recommend checking out Rockland or Camden - used to be quaint and beautiful - My sister lives in Maine I may forward this to her. Rocky coast - boats harbors - nice. There a some great B&B up there - cannot think of names sorry. Go up Route 1 if you want scenery - rather than just the highway once you get into Maine - Have some Chowder or Lobster Stew - They even have Lobster Rolls at McDonalds!!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Ann

While you're in Portsmouth, you could visit Strawbery Banke, a collection of historic homes and buildings which trace the history of the area by both era and ethnic groups. It's very interesting. In the summer I believe they do living history demonstrations as well. Look at their website for a better idea of what it is and what's going on:

www.strawberybanke.org

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:10 AM
zacky

Must do Kennebunkport (just the drive on ocast), not to shop, must do Marginal Way at Ogunquit (got engaged there and honeymoon, too)...must do Boothbay Harbor and Camden. If time, do lighthouses as Larry said in York, etc. Can't go wrong in Maine...my favorite place in the world. Have lobster at Cape Porpoise..small town w/nothing there...near Kennebunkport.