Reload this Page >

Maine first time visitor tip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:54 AM
zootsi

Just a helpful tip for first time visitors to Maine. If you are approaching the state from I-95 in New Hampshire, a few miles after you cross over in to Maine there is an information building/rest stop, right on the interstate. I highly recommend you stop there, it's the most extensive information center I've ever seen - full of thousands of brochures, papers, maps, etc for every corner of the state. Lots of helpful info on beaches, inns, motels, cruises, hikes, etc. You can quickly accumulate a foot high stack of information on the area you are visiting!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:01 AM
margie

From where in New Hampshire would you be coming from on I-95? I am travelling south from Burlington Vermont next month for the first time to Portland.
Your advice is good.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Jim Beam

Another tip. Don't forget to stock up at the NH State Liquor Store. Clean rest rooms and no sales tax and no return.Handy off and on ,Both sides of The US route 95.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:11 PM
zootsi

I was referring to the southernmost entrance to Maine, from Portsmouth NH.
There are other info centers in Maine, but this one is the granddaddy of all info centers.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Pat C

Just want to thank you all for taking the time to write these tips. We're going to Maine for the first time next week and these tips are greatly appreciated.