Maine coast, Vermont mountains, New York Adirondak

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a graduate student in northern Delaware, and would like to spend three or four days in one of the above places during the spring break (last week of March). I would like to be in a quiet place, where I can get plenty of nature without seeing too many tourists. Being a student, I cannot afford expensive hotels/resorts. I would really appreciate some suggestions about where I could go. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:05 AM

march up that way will still have very questionable weather issues. march snow storms happen all the time. so it depends on what you mean by "plenty of nature" are you a hiker? or are you interested in just hanging... you may want to think about cross country skiing.

if so, you may want to consider new hampshire as well i have to say that new hampshire is my favorite for scenery and hiking - but likely hiking won't be easy in the white mountains...

there are lots of small motels, you may need to call, they might not even have web sites. but search for lodging in these areas. go to chamber of commerce sites where these smaller places will be listed and you can get phone numbers.

i would usually recommend vrbo.com for lodging but those renters usually want weekly renters but it doesn't hurt to look. you can also look at greatrentals.com and cyberrentals.com

to look for town names in adirondacks start on mapquest with lake george

for vermont, southern- brattleboro, northern, woodstock

for maine you might actually get something descent on mount desert island or lamshure...but boy if a n'oreaster comes in (which can easily happen in march) i wouldn't want to be there!

for new hampshire franconia notch, littleton, goshen.

have you considered going south to virginia and the blue ridge? or even down to the north carolina mountains that might be better weather but i am not sure. i know both areas are beautiful but my experience there has been in april and may.

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:15 AM

It will still definitely be winter at the end of March, but this will help cut down on the number of tourists (unless you're near a major ski area) and may help on prices. As long as you don't mind the possibility of having to drive in snow if a storm hits I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. As a grad student, I commuted one semester (January to May) from Strafford, VT to Lyndonville 3 days a week (80 miles) and never had any problem getting to class. As long as you avoid the major ski areas (Killington, Stowe, etc.) quiet and a lack of tourists should be pretty easy to find. The Upper (Connecticut River) Valley that forms the border between Vermont & New Hampshire north of White River Jct. is both beautiful and largely tourist-free. I especially liked the Northeast Kingdom (northeasternmost Vermont) for its seclusion. Any ma&pa motel should be pretty inexpensive, although I have no idea what level of quality you'll get (or are expecting). www.travelthekingdom.com has a bunch of listings, although I'm sure you'd have to call around for prices. I've found just riding around on the back roads with the occasional stops out in the wilderness and the small towns call be really enjoyable and relaxing. By back roads I mean state highways (which typically have very little traffic). The back-country dirt roads also have some fantastic scenery, but unless you know where you're going can quickly change from a road to a trail. For other ideas once you're there, just stop into any small town general store or post office and chat with the locals. Unfortunately you'd be there a few weeks after town meeting day or I'd suggest you attend one of those for a truly unforgettable experience.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to usroadman and justme22 for the wonderful information and insights you have provided. I really appreciate your help. From what you two have written, it sounds better than I had visualised. I can't wait to go!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Once you decide on a state, I would suggest you get an Atlas and Gazetteer published by DeLorme for that state. All the roads, including seasonal, will be show. It's available at most bookstores and some large supermarkets. Also shows popular hiking trails, covered bridge locations, fishing spots, waterfalls, etc. We use ours all the time and have one for NH, VT and Maine. Great help choosing an alternate route away from interstates but keep in mind unpaved roads in March may be a problem. March is mud seasons which always seems to start around town meeting day. It really depends on weather and how well the road has been maintained. Mud is caused by the frozen soil defrosting. Yesterday was warm enough to cause a bit of mud. I live on a dirt road and some years it has been treacherous. Keep in mind if you are out hiking, hypothermia can be a problem in spring. It seems warm enough but easy for the weather to change. Once we had a day in February with temps in the low 60s, cold front arrived and it was only 20 by late afternoon with a lot of wind. You might look into some unusual activities that won't be crowded. Next Sunday we hope to watch an ice cutting demonstration at a farm museum in NH. The ice is packed in sawdust in an ice house like the good ol' days and will be used in the summer to keep vegetables at the farm stand cool. I marvel at the people who still know how to do things like this. I wasn't raised on a farm so never learned a lot about nature. On the atlas you will also find small state parks and government land in flood control areas that are open for public use but hardly used. Frequently an old road goes along a river but is not longer maintained. You might see an occasional cross country skier, snow shoer or even sled dogs but we've also gone thru a section and not seen anyone at all. Hope you have a wonderful visit wherever you choose.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Sincere thanks to dfrostnh. The information and insights you have taken the time to share is the kind that can make the difference between a touristy visit and a really beautiful experience. And thanks, once again, to usroadman and justme22 for more such insights they have taken the time to provide. I am grateful to all three of you.