Maine base point(s) to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2019, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending the first week of July in Maine and I'd love advice on one or two places to stay as our base. My husband has never been; I've been once. I'd love advice on where to stay, either for the full week or perhaps two places to split the time between.

We love water, we love beautiful views, relaxing, mild hiking, kayaking, seafood, cocktails. Don't need shopping or nightlife.

Acadia is a must, but not Bar Harbor.

We are fine to drive a bit each day to see new spots.

(We'll be flying into Boston, spending a day there, renting a car...)

Any recommendations on towns to try to stay in? (We like to use airbnb)
Any recommendations for July 4th fireworks?
Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:32 PM

Old Orchard Beach usually does a nice fireworks display.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:47 AM

We like Bath's Heritage Days 4th of July parade but haven't stayed awake dor fireworks. We'll be attending this year but staying in Brunswick which has a very nice farmers market on Fridays. My first choice would have been to stay in the Harpswell area to the east but didn't find an air b&b that worked out. The Harpswell area is like the clock turned back - a lot of rural areas. You can google Harpswell conserevation areas for maps to areas the public can visit which would include mild hiking and secluded beaches. Highly recommend buying some cheap bag chairs and bringing some picnic supplies so you can set up, relax, look at the water, etc. Brunswick being a college town has plenty of restaurants.
If you want a politically incorrect parade go to Round Pond parade (near Damariscotta). Get there early for a good spot. Our favorite group the year we went was "Fake Nudes". No marching bands but I think you might see a synchronized lawn chair brigade.

Our first few days however will be spent at an air b&b on the water near Owls Head/Rockland area. We have 2 favorite lobster places in that area. Rockland is a large city but quiet places are nearby. Sorry, we don't kayak. We will probably take a lighthouse cruise from the Bath Maritime Museum. From the Rockland area, it's a long day trip to Acadia. (2 hour one way) One 4th of July we stayed at an inn in Brooklin ME (Blue Hill Peninsula) where we had a great boat tour with a historian. This area of Maine is pretty quiet and not many restaurants but you would be closer to Acadia. If you don't get to Acadia, try to visit Mt Battie in Camden. We take the auto road but you can hike.Incredible views. Another place we sit a spell with binoculars and iced tea, maybe a picnic lunch.
Old May 7th, 2019, 04:35 AM

I love Boothbay Harbor which is considered midcoast. It is an adorable little town and the Topside Inn Bed and Breakfast is amazing! Great harbor views, good restaurants etc. right there in the little town.

I also like Freeport. It's close to Portland ( about 20 minutes) so we are close enough for some of the great places to eat ( Maine Lobster Co, has a great lobster roll). Also 555 for a very nice restaurant with a wine pairing meal that is always exquisite. Freeport has it's own little charm and is a good home base for exploring.

Both Boothbay Harbor, as well as Portland, have food tours offered by Maine Foodie Tours, both of which were great and offered historical information as well as highlights great food. If you like food, I would recommend.

Portland also has a lobster boat tour operated by Lucky Catch cruises that I would recommend. It was fun and informative and we learned a lot about the lobster industry.