Maine accomodations w/o reservations?

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:09 AM
babycakes

Maine accomodations w/o reservations?

We will be in Maine during the week of Sept. 8-15 and our rental has fallen through. How risky would it be to attempt to find rooms at great inns or B&Bs without advance reservations? We will have a car and would love to stop when we see a place we like. I did a search, but could find no suggestions on this topic. Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Beth

My guess is that mid-week after Labor Day will be fine. Weekends will still be tricky. But you'd be okay if you didn't have your heart set on one particular place or location, ie. on the ocean.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Sharon

We've actually gone to Maine without any reservations in August and had one of the best trips there ever. Found some neat and interesting accomodations that we never would've found had we reserved ahead. Go for it!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:20 AM
babycakes

Thanks Beth and Sharon! Will consider our options. REally looking forward to the trip.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Robin

I just returned from a trip along the Maine coast in early August. With the exception of Camden, we saw some availability everywhere we went (Camden seemed really booked!). I think the above posters are correct that you will be fine, but if any of your destinations are popular AND you happen to hit them on the weekend you might consider a reservation. Be aware, though, that inns and B&B's often require prepayment, so make commitments carefully!