Search

D.C. HOTEL ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:31 AM
TIM

D.C. HOTEL ADVICE

HI, I AM MAKING MY FIRST TRIP TO WASHINGTON DC AND I AM LOOKING FOR A REASONABLY PRICED HOTEL, SAFE, AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO WALK OR CAB TO MOST PLACES..... NOT TO MUCH TO ASK EH

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Ann

Please stop typing in all caps. You're driving everyone crazy.

That said, try a search for this topic. There have been a ton of threads on this in the past few months, and you'll find lots of good suggestions.

Hope you're not coming this week. It's nasty and hot.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Tim

My apologies,,,, are you describing the weather??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 11:19 AM
DC

Call 1-800-VisitDC to book your hotel. The rates are much better than I was quoted through Quickbook and other online services, and the reservationist gave us knowledgeable advice about where to stay. We booked at the Hotel Washington, which is very well located for tourists.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Leone

Personally, I think Tim would feel more at home at the Harrington. Ciao

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:05 PM
E.

Try the Kalorama Guest House--great location, great rates. Walk to Metro. A note about DC cabs: they're expensive! DC is not like NYC in that way--it's divided into zones that totally favor the drivers and separate all the most commonly visited areas in DC into separate zones, so a short ride can cost big bucks. The cabs are egenrally clean and the drivers polite, just be warned!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:10 PM
dougd

We stayed at the Wyndham at city center, which is in the Foggy Bottom area. This is a very safe, upscale area, close to the metro, and Dupont Circle. It was about $100 a night - no pool however!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:21 PM
L

E, are you talking about the same DC taxis I use every day? I know from many eyars of experience that DC cabs are among the very cheapest in the US. Ask anyone on Baltimore or Philly, for example. And actually the zone system you complain about here works very much to the consumer's advantage. For years, there has been a periodic push toward meters as a means of incerasing fares, and periodically fares are in fact increased, and with never a murmur from the public. I suggest that's because we know just how good we have it. When in DC, by all means use taxis when the Metro is not convenient to where you are or where you're going. Have a nice stay. Ciao

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:17 AM
tim

Leone,,, care to elaborate on the Harrington?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:29 AM
L

Sure, the Harrington is one of DC's better kept secrets ... only a few know, and rarely an out of towners. But after your question about weather, I knew you'd fit right in. I'm sure you understand, and, of course you would seek clarification. Welcome to DC. Ciao

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:50 AM
ilisa

Cabs are very reasonable in DC. I take cabs several times a week. Cabs in the main tourist area (monuments, Capitol, etc., Union Station) are $5.00 in non-rush hour for one peson. During rush hour it is $6.00. It is $1.50 for every extra person. The Harrington - hee hee.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 11:38 AM
DC

Leone,

I just checked the Harrington web site. I don't care what others think about you, I think you're delightful.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 08:20 AM
tim

leone, I am not sure I get your drift, it is difficult to understand someones meaning in a brief message. For my sake, please feel free to help me understand, and spell it out loud for me

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Jim Lloyd

I just got back from Washington DC, and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown at 1250 22nd Street. The rate I got was $170 with AAA and this was for a corner suite. With a free breakfast and evening reception daily you can't go wrong especially with the high prices in DC. I often took the metro, however you could walk if it was cooler to some of the monuments and attractions.

If you have any other questions please feel free to post them.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Christna

I live in DC also and the cabs here are pretty cheap IMO. I've never heard anyone call them expensive except sometimes people from small towns who aren't used to big cities or taking cabs (like my mother). They aren't more expensive than NY (conversely, a lot of them are wrecks and not clean, that's my biggest complaint). I think the zone system may be somewhat political, but seems to favor politicians, not cab drivers, I thought (people on the Hill can get around cheaply within the same zone). It's a weird system to me because you never know what the fare should be, unlike meters, unless you really take them a lot and know the zone lines very well -- however, if you tell the driver your destination, the driver can tell you the rate. The Harrington is listed in every guidebook I've seen, it's no secret. Their web site makes it look a lot nicer than it is, I think. It is a very good central location, but basically a very low-level hotel from what I've heard--I've never stayed there but I think the word might be dump, although it's not dangerous as far as I know (ie, their clientele is not into dicey activity). It is beneath most people's standards, but if you want a real cheap hotel and aren't picky at all, it could suit you. I do think the Kalorama Guest House is an idea, it's really a B&B, not hotel--there are two, actually, the one in Woodley area is more convenient to a metro stop. DC is fairly small, so most hotels in the central area will be convenient logistically, although not small enough that you can walk most places that a tourist will want to go (unless you like to walk several miles routinely). I think Jury's NOrmandy Inn is pretty reasonable in price and a very safe and nice area near consulates/embassies; it's within walking distance of Dupont Circle-area restaurants, but not as convenient to a metro stop as some places as that's about 5 blocks away. In good weather, it's not bad. Maybe some of these suggestions are below what you wanted given you are thinking of taking cabs, that's the problem when you use the word "reasonable" as who knows what that means, barring the Four Seasons.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:49 AM
Tom Morse

We just got back from DC. Stayed at the Sheraton National (not too nice) and caught the metro at Pentagon City with the hotel shuttle. I noticed a Ritz Carlton right next to the metro stop and checked prices after returning home. It was like $159 a night weekends! Next time, its the Ritz.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:26 AM
Nancy

We just got back to CA from DC tonight. We stayed at the Loew's L'enfant Plaza Hotel. We paid $125 a night thru Expedia, and it was fantastic! The rooms were very nice and the service was great. The location is perfect for sightseeing on the mall but apart from the dining and nightlife. Taxis are very inexpensive and abundant, so we had no trouble going out to restaurants at night. DC Coast was great for seafood, by the way.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:42 AM
L

Well, thank you, Christna, for that sterling description of the HH ... but could you have waited until I'd braced myself with a second cup? BTW, if you do stumble across a guidebook listing HH, you might wish to pursue a refund. DC, thanks, I guess ... looks like it's down to you and mom. There was another, but I think I heard the splash of a lifeboat last week. Have a good day, and ciao.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Ann

There are two hotels in DC that I keep seeing questions about, and those are the same two hotels I wouldn't send my worst enemy to: the Harrington and the Allen Lee. Please, if you're really on a budget, stay at the youth hostel. It's much nicer than either one of these hotels.

And yes, I was talking about the weather. However, this morning, it was very pleasant. It looks like it's about to storm, but at least it's cool.

Tim, I second the Kalorama. Sounds like it would be a good match for you.

I also find DC cabs expensive. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call cab drivers on the fact that they're trying to charge me for 3 zones, when we've only been in one. And they absolutely love to pull the old "I don't have any change" bit. Much more so than any other city I've ever been in. Tourists really get hammered hard by our cab drivers.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:23 AM
L

Look, the DC taxi scene is NOT the disaster you describe. So, when you get in a taxi, you simply ask whether they have change. If they lie to you, and later pull the "no change" bit, simply don't pay them when you exit. What can they do? As you ride along, jot down their name and taxi license number ... this gives you some leverage ... tell the driver you have this. And when in doubt, don't pay ... and don't sit there and argue and negotiate. Simply exit the taxi. Or ask the driver to telephone the police. If they give you the "no english" bit, simple spend that time waiting for the cops telling them of the excellent language courses being offered in the evenings by the USDA Graduate School, at several locations. Where except in America, I ask you. Ciao