Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon in winter

Search

Grand Canyon in winter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:55 PM
mat

Grand Canyon in winter

I live in Indonesia, I plan to visit the grand canyon on December, I would like to know if the grand canyon worth visited in winter?

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Larry

Oh yes! The Grand Canyon is lovely in winter but only the South Rim is open. The North Rim closes with the first heavy snowfall.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Dr. Bitterpants

Does anyone know how the South Rim hiking trails are in the winter? Are they trekkable in December or January, abundant hiking options, or is the only trail "down?"

And if anyone celebrated New Years at one of the lodges, please inform. Thanks!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Peter Kosednar

I always visit the Grand Canyon in the winter. The summer crowds will be gone!!

I hike the South Kaibab trail and Bright Angel in the winter too. Buy some crampons that you strap on your boots - REI sells a good pair for about $12 and they buckle on. There may be snow and ice one mile down in the Winter - so have some crampons with you in case.

I stay overnight the night before hiking to get used to the high altitude at the Grand Canyon -8,000 feet.

Train with stairmasters at a local gym or hike up hills or mtns. before -the trail is great but is alot of stepping and you will need to be in shape.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Lisa

Yes it is great in the Winter. We spend New Years Eve there in 2000. We watched the last sun set of 1999 it was beautiful. We stationed ourselves in Flagstaff, and drove to the Canyon and other sites each day. Visit Sedona, and Oak Creek Canyon. It was snowing in Flagstaff one day, and we drove to Sedona and it was warm, and the place is gorgeous. We spent the rest of the new years eve at our hotel in Flagstaff.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:01 AM
rob

we went the second week in December several years ago and it was great. NO CROWDS !!!!
it did snow early one morning but it had melted away by the afternoon. the trails were "slushy" that day but traction was not a problem. i wore nothing more than a long-sleeved t-shirt and sweat pants on the hikes. beware of the donkey-poop on some trails....its everywhere.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Bring

The Grand Canyon is beautiful in the winter. When there is snow at the top it gradually disappears as you look at the lower levels and the gradations really highlight the texture of the walls. Since you are from a warm climate, be sure to be prepared for cold weather (if you hike down into the canyon it will get warmer the farther down you go). I remember camping at the Canyon once in December when it was 11 degrees F. at the rim, snowing and windy and I was really freezing.