Magic in Vegas

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magic in Vegas

Has anyone seen Lance Burton or Penn & Teller or both in Las Vegas? Which is better, more entertaining or are they equal? Or is there a better magic/comedy show to consider? It's just my husband and I this summer in Vegas and I am finalizing plans. Just a bit more help is needed from you Fodorites out there. Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM

I have seen Lance. I have talked with a number of people who have seen Penn and Teller.

There is a vast difference. Lance puts on a "traditional" magic show. A very good one. Very family/kid friendly...well, with a few scantily dressed assistants. Very PG type of stuff. Everybody likes Lance.

Penn and Teller are much more edgy, non conformist types. Adult language, humor and wit. Sometimes wacky, sometimes disgusting (in some peoples opinion...not mine). Generally you love em or hate em.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM

I've seen them both.

If you haven't seen Penn & Teller, they are probably the best choice because their show mixes in lots of humor. On the downside, the humor doesn't seem very spontaneous these days.

Lance Burton's show is elaborate and eye-catching, but I found it confusing--with too much going on.

I much prefer Mac King's afternoon show and Harrah's, or Rick Thomas' show. Thomas used to be at Tropicana but moved I think.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM

P & T all the way. No question. Lance Burton may have already peaked. We paid $75 + service charge. Don't pay more than that. You can buy directly from the Rio. Some brokers will want to charge $190-220, as if this were the normal price. This is an evening show. There are some "dark" dates so, check with the ticket office directly to ensure they are performing during your visit.

Mac King is funny and magical during the midday, and can be seen for $8 + buy a drink. Or, pay the $18.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM

David Copperfield is also appearing in Vegas this summer. go to vegas.com for dates. I have tix for next month, so have not seen him yet...just another "illusionist" option for you. I don't know if he's a comic, but it can't get much better than that!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM

I go to Las Vegas frequently and I always found a reason to do something other than see David Copperfield. And then last year I finally gave in and bought a pretty good single ticket for a Saturday night -- and, I must say, the show was great. The car disappearing while audience members were standing under it -- and the hokey bit with the kid meeting up with his father in the South Pacific, even that had me scratching my head. So I'd recommend it. Let me know what you think if you go. Also if you'd like to see amazing playing card sleight of hand, go see Collin Foster in a free (buy a drink) show downtown at the Plaza -- I sat five feet away and couldn't believe what I saw, or didn't see!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

First of all, thanks for the feedback, all of you. I would love to see Copperfield but he is not playing when we are going to be there...that would have been my first choice.

Second, it looks like Penn & Teller got the most votes here so I think we will go for that show.

Any other thoughts on shows besides Mystere? We have tix to that and to a comedy show as well, but I wasn't sure if there would be another "MUST SEE" while there. We are there, by the way, for 6 nights (yes, it's bit long in Vegas, but we are WITHOUT KIDS at that time, so it's time to let loose a bit and be adults instead of parents.