COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Maggi's Chicago Trip, Part 3

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 03:54 PM
Maggi

Maggi's Chicago Trip, Part 3

Sunday morning we walked to the House of Blues for the Gospel Brunch. We marvelled at the unique decor - every inch of the lobby is covered. One archway has intricately painted shoes nailed to the wall and ceiling. What fun that must have been to work on. Most of the food was good, but we felt a little rushed. I would have liked to have more time to take less, and go back a few times. The bread pudding with vanilla rum sauce was to DIE FOR. The gospel choir had us on our feet, swinging our napkins in the air, crumbs flying everywhere. Then it was time to check out and we got on the road to our main reason for coming, the IKEA store in Schaumberg. Somebody said it would be crowded, and no kidding, it was. The prices really made it worth the trip though. I saved tons of money on candles alone. But if I lived nearby, I'd go on a weekday. And I do wish I lived nearby. I fell in love with Chicago and plan to make it a frequent destination in the future.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:03 PM
arjay

A fun report Maggi. Thanks for sharing it! Now that you've whetted your appetite for Chicago, you have to hit it when you can enjoy the lakefront and park and stroll some neighborhoods, etc.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 04:59 AM
Ess

Maggi, I enjoyed reading your trip report, too! I love Chicago, it's one of my favorite cities. I would move there if it weren't for the winters (brrr!) We were there last July and fell in love with the lakefront, went bicycling and walked along it each day. We went to a Cubs game - that was great. You must go back again when the weather is more conducive to outdoor activities. The weather was peculiar, one part of town was hot, hazy and humid; another part of town was windy and cool. Reading your report makes me want to go back.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 05:39 AM
danny

maggi,

where are you from by the way. i can't believe that you came here for IKEA. isn't there one by you?

there are a lot more things under the surface in chicago that i am just starting to experience myself, after 25 years...

danny

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:14 PM
Maggi

Danny, we live in Troy, a suburb of Detroit and we will be getting our own IKEA in about two years. Undoubtedly I will be a regular visitor. Right now it's a weekly visit to Costco. It's great discovering new things about your city, isn't it? The only problem is, when the word gets out the place gets packed out and it isn't the same anymore. At Cafe Iberico we were trying to figure out what you might look like - how would you describe yourself?