Search

Madison WI - Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madison WI - Where to stay?

Hello-
I was looking for a place to go for our anniversary this year. Somewhere within 3-4 hours of Chicago for Labor Day weekend. After reading some of the posts on here, I've decidided (I think) to give Madison a try. Can anyone tell me what area we should stay in that we could walk to the bars & restaurants? Would this be the State St. area? Also, if anyone has had any luck with Priceline on this area. Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Happy anniversary!

A rarely mentioned hotel is The Campus Inn which is very lovely and is recently renovated. I do a lot of conference planning for the University and our guests really enjoy staying there. However, it is very close to a private dorm and the frats/sororities on UW's campus, so the area around it can be loud and rowdy on a weekend.

Another choice is the Hilton at the Monona Terrace. It is pretty new and very nice - walkable to the square (which has lots of bars and restaurants) and is also a 15 minute or less walk to State Street. While still close to State Street, it will be a little quieter.

The Best Western Inn on the Park, the Concourse and the Edgewater are all on or very near State Street.

Please keep in mind that this is the last weekend of the summer before classes start, and all of the students are back in town, so a lot of bars on State Street will be PACKED with very drunk undergrads. (State Street itself will also be crowded.) This bothers some people more than others, so I just wanted to mention it. That aside, it's a lovely time of year in Madison, and the taste of Madison takes place around the Capitol during the weekend.

Sorry - I don't know about Priceline in Madison!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Bethke-
Thanks for all the info!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM

There's a home football game Sept 1, which can make hotel rooms hard to find.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 02:10 AM
kp

DD had her wedding reception at Monona Terrace so guests stayed at the Hilton or the Best Western (Inn on the Park). Both hotels are very nice and were convenient to the square. One big difference was that the Hilton charges overnight guests for parking ($12) and Best Western doesn't.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Seeing as how it is for your anniversary I thought you might like to know about the Mansion Hill Inn. It is 4 or 5 blocks from the capital square and is supposed to be really special. I live in town so have never had the opportunity to stay there but I have heard wonderful things about it.
http://www.mansionhillinn.com/module...index.php/id/1
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM

The Mansion Hill Inn has no rooms available.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:38 AM

We recently used Priceline for Madison and won the Sheraton. It was very disappointing. It seemed to be partially renovated but many corners were cut. For example, the furnishing were fine but the carpeting was a dirty brown color, very worn, and didn't match the rest of the room. The bathroom set-up was strange and needed some updating. Also, other than the Alliant Center, there isn't much around the hotel. It is considered a downtown hotel and is a 5-10 minute drive to State St.. If my memory serves me correctly, the hotel is listed as a 4 star but in my opinion it is no more than a 2.5..
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:59 AM

If you don't mind driving to the downtown area, there a many hotels in Middleton. It is just west of downtown madison...maybe a 10-15 min drive. There is an upscale mall called Greenway Station that has restaurants and shopping. That is a nice, pleasant area. You won't have all the noisy college noise out there.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:40 PM

As long as Abram tells us that the Mansion Hill Inn is booked, then I would second the Middleton hotel suggestion.

By the way, Labor Day weekend is a big weekend on the capital square in downtown Madison because it is the annual Taste of Madison. It is a fun way to spend a couple of hours.
http://www.madisonfestivals.com/taste/index.html
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I'd also recommend trying the Concourse, the Hilton, the Edgewater, the Double Tree, the Campus Inn or the Best Western Inn on the Park. All are nice and within walking from State Street, UW, and the Capitol building.
One warning about Priceline for Madison: I used it last spring when attending a friend's wedding. I only bid on downtown hotels and ended up getting the Sheraton off John Nolan Drive. It's rather outdated, and it's not within decent walking distance of downtown.
Hope this helps.
Kelly