Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Seating/Hotel packages

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 07:32 PM
maria

Once again we watched the Macy's parade and my kids loved every minute of it and we are considering a trip to NYC to see it in person. How do you get seating reserved (if possible) or do you just show up super early and spend the night sleeping on the curb for a good view? Any ideas if hotels along the parade route have special sections reserved for their guests? Is this a total madhouse scene and not worth doing at all and best to enjoy at home via television? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments, Maria

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 03:21 PM
kim

Just wanted to send this to the top because I am also looking for info about NYC and the Thanksgiving parade. Our wedding anniversary is right around thansgiving and I have always wanted to see the parade and the preparations the night before. Any one have any good info about that weekend in NYC?

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 03:48 PM
Carla

I'm topping this again because I've always wanted to go since I was a little kid. Anyone?

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:12 PM
tweedy

The parade is so much fun and there are LOADS of people everywhere. The less congested viewing sites are further up Broadway, and since the parade comes down Broadway starting around 79t St you might do well with some of the hotels in the 50's. The Holiday Inn has sort of a balcony, and I watched the parade from there 2 years ago and watched one of the balloons get speared right in front of us, Bullwinkle I think. But I am sure he is all patched up now.

If you want to be here for the holiday, realize you are paying a bit of a premium for a hotel room and make your reservations ASAP since pretty much everything is booked already.

Also there are companies here that rent out apartments and I'll try to get a phone number for you. Alot of NYers get out of town for the holiday and leave it to be discovered by tourists.

Alot of people enjoy the preparations before the parade and make a night of it watching the balloons get blown up on the west side near the Museum of Natural History.

Also that weekend the lights at the Bronz Zoo go up and we will be singing Christmas Carols. The lights are amazing and worth a trip up.

Hope this helps some.

tweedy

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Maurice

We booked in September. The Best Western President by Times Sqaure goes from 125/night to 260/night when the Wed. night rolls around. (Most other hotels do likewise.)
A website says the Bleacher seating (Columbus Cirecle for the TV, and Macy's) are all reserved for sponsors and participants to give out tickets.
Good Luck - see you there!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 04:26 AM
IloveNY

As a life-long NYer I have found the best place to watch the parade is in front for the TV in my pajamas. The weather is usually cold or rainy and it is very crowded. The best part is watching the preparations the night before. You might want to consider if you are really serious about seeing the parade in person is to stay in the outer boros or Westchester and book soon I would use public transportation into the city. The MTA runs extra service to and from the city just for the parade. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:11 PM
judy

We have shown up at ~ 7 AM for superb seats on the curb at ~64th Street and Central Park West. -- With coffe and donuts and cardboard boxes to sit on (the pavement gets cold). People are friendly and the wait is not bad. Also, if you want to see the balloons being blown up and floats assembled the night before, stroll along Central Park West and 77th St. the night before. It has become a real local attraction, which gets more crowded every year, but is quite festive.
Enjoy!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:14 AM
upsy daisy

For Margaret!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 05:07 PM
e

to the top for tori