Search

LV, Grand Canyon, Sedona & Phoenix Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LV, Grand Canyon, Sedona & Phoenix Trip

Hello--

Am looking for suggestions. Due to a conference my husband has in Phoenix, we are foregoing our annual ski trip and instead are taking our two boys (11 & 15) on a road trip out west. We are flying into Las Vegas and would like to go to the Grand Canyon and then down through Sedona and spend the last few days in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area at the conference. I am looking for suggestions regarding how long we should stay in Las Vegas (one night or two or get out as quickly as possibly) and then where and how long to stay in the Grand Canyon area. I would like to also spend time in Sedona and other areas before we ultimately end up in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for the last 3 nights. We will probably be staying a total of 8 nights. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks so much!
PScott
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM

I would do 2 nts each place. One thing to look for, is a car rental that does not charge an additional one way drop fee.

We did this trip in the reverse a few years ago--starting in Phoenix. I would think that the car rental would be cheaper starting in LV--Cars are expensive at the Phoenix airport. My trip report should be here--click on my name. I should figure out how to cut and paste a link on this site. We also did a Grand Canyon/Phoenix trip in 2007 but went in and out of Phoenix--so look back farther than that.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I don't care for Las Vegas, so I would pick up my rental car and head out of town ASAP.

However, if you really want to stay there, then one or two nights is sufficient.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:20 AM

I totally agree that one night in vegas is plenty with kids. Walk the strip see the volcano and pirates, look at the glitz, then get out of town. A stop at Hoover dam on your way to Grand Canyon NP and a couple of nights in the canyon and then down through Sedona. Or if you get into vegas early drive on up to Zion NP (about 3 hrs) spend a night or two there, then go to the Canyon and spend a couple of days there before heading down to Sedona. Call Xanterra for reservations in the NP s and keep trying as spots open up due to cancellations close to the date you're interested.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM

I live in Vegas and if you don't want to stay long at the Strip, there is Mt. Charleston to see (about 30 miles from the Strip). It's a 12,000 foot mountain at the NW edge of the city with skiing/snowboarding. It's beautiful with hiking trails also. Red Rock Canyon is also in Vegas (west of the city) and very pretty and you can hike there also or rock climb. Valley of Fire is also near Vegas (north on I-15)and you can see Lake Mead from there, drive around or hike. It has orange colored rocks and looks alot like SW Utah. There's alot more to Vegas than the Strip but you need a car to get to these places. Grand Canyon is awesome and I also enjoyed Sedona. If you drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon across 93, you will go across the Hoover Dam. There is a tour if you want to see how the dam works- lasts a couple of hours. I love the West - it's beautiful with so much to see and do.