luxury in NY..anyone have an idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming to NY for an anniversary in October. Here's what i'm looking for- double sheeted bed, down comforter, deep tub, turn down service, cosseting attitude. Location can be Soho, midtown or uptown - but prefer not too far uptown because I can't afford much when done with the hotel. Stayed at the Four Seasons (once, when the stock price was high), same with the Mercer. Hated W on Lexington, Regent Wall Steet was too far out of the way and the Kimberley, while great with kids doesn't have the quality I'm looking for on this trip. I know there's someone out there who has stayed in the perfect place. By the way, I always like to save $ so anything in any catagory with the above requirements is fine.
Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Try the Palace on Madison Ave, beautiful, recently redone and the rooms and amenities are georgeous.

You can get a good weekend rate.

There is another hotel in town and can't remember which one, I think it's on Central Park South that guarantees a good nite sleep or your money back. They even have a sleep consierge, and a menu for pillows. I'm sure someone will remember which hotel it is.

The other hotel I was going to suggest is the Piere on 5th at 60th St.

I would try priceline.com and see what comes up for a 4 or 5 star.

Have a great time.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:27 AM

The Lowell is terrific--
Lowell Hotel

28 E 63rd Street | between Madison & 5th Avenues

Upper East Side | Manhattan

The Lowell is located between Park and Madison Avenues one block from Central Park within walking distance of the Midtown business district and surrounded by Madison Avenue designer shops and boutiques. The hotel is within the Upper East Side Historic District on a tranquil tree-lined residential street. The Lowell is a deluxe elegant European style hotel with no more than six rooms on each of the 17 floors. Accommodations feature elegant custom designed furniture, refined antiques and imported fabrics. Most rooms feature fully equipped kitchens, some feature working wood burning fireplaces, terraces and libraries

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM

The hotel wantsomesun is referring to is the Benjamin with the sleep concierge.

If you're looking for a bargain & want to try Priceline, I'd say 5* midtown east (the Waldorf Towers is the only hotel in this category) OR the 4*s in Upper Midtown/Central Park South should all provide what you want. (Don't bid these both in the same bid b/c you're liable to get 4* midtown east which is "iffy"-hope you understand what I'm saying).

If you're coming for a weekend, many places offer special weekend packages. You might try the Stanhope Park Hyatt (but that IS all the way uptown on 81st & 5th across from the Met museum). This used to be a good one to try for on Priceline (4* upper east side) BUT Priceline has now upgraded the Wales Hotel from 3* to 4* in this neighborhood & it is NOT a 4* property IMO. In the same general uptown neighborhood, the Mark and the Carlyle (the MOST elegant) are also great.

I agree with the Lowell, Pierre and the Palace, but they're all very pricey.

Smaller hotels with upscale atmosphere in addition to the Benjamin are the Library, the Michelangelo and the Muse. I know the Park South Hotel (www.parksouthhotel.com) has weekend packages- but don't know they have all the amenities you're looking for.

Good luck and happy anniversary!

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the suggestions thus far. I do prefer to be midtown or in the Soho/Village area. I've seen the Benjamin and the tubs are about 3" high -kind of like big shower pans. I suggested the Park South to my brother last year for a budget hotel and he was not happy with it (just a little extra info for anyone interested). Any one else want to chime in?
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:37 AM

for pure luxury as far at the room goes: The Peninsula at 55th and Fifth is fabulous. Frette linens that have to be 600 count or higher with down duvet as well as four kinds of pillows, five kinds of bottled water replenished at least twice a day, turn down service that removes the silk bed covering to reveal the luxurious bed with little linen cloth with your slippers. A console by your bed operates the electrical system, music, tv, lighting, special night lighting, security at your door. The bath is also super luxurious. Four nights and I was one spoiled foodie with one exception. The food looked absolutely beautiful and was sent up each morning at 6 (I'm an early riser) promptly. Curiously it was devoid of flavor, not so much as a salt shaker in sight in that kitchen much less any herbs or spices. That being understood, they have a lovely tea in the lobby bar in the afternoon with an excellent champagne (no sparkling wine here) As for location, this is sort of the ultimate location like the Plaza and the St. Regis but this hotel beats them hands down on the room. LMF
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:46 AM

I'll second Lil Ms Foodie. Although it's been a few years, our stay at The Peninsula was sensational. Somehow we were upgraded to a bigger room, and the bath had a marble walk in shower and a whirlpool tub. Our room had an actual entrance hall, and each day the large arrangement of fresh flowers was changed. And Ms. Foodie has left out mentioning the fabulous rooftop bar.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:10 PM

I did leave out the roof top bar which has taken on a slightly seedy hue this summer. There were many working girls there, actually more than necessary to the point that the doorman told one particularly obvious woman that they had their quota of women for the night. A tacky townside to post 9/11 Midtown I'm afraid.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:11 PM

oops. edit: townside should have been downside. LMF