Search

Luxury in New York

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury in New York

My husband and I are planning a long weekend January 28-Feb.1 in New York. It is for our 15th anniversary so I would like romance and luxury (4 or 5 stars hotel). Can anyone advise? The ST. Regis on 55th and Ritz-Carlton at Central Park both look good. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:59 PM

The Four Seasons is still my overall favorite for a special occasion, but the St. Regis is a close second. The RC Central Park and Mandarin Oriental (just opened a month or so ago, also close to the SW corner of the park) should also be considered.
Just what is it that you consider important in a nice hotel? All four of the above are distinctly different.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:19 PM
GoTravel

Mine are in this order:

St. Regis
The Pierre (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Carlyle
Plaza Athenee
4 Seasons
Peninsula
Mark
Sherry Netherland
Regent Wall Street
RC Central Park
RC Financial
The Plaza Hotel

Honestly, I think the Ritz-Carltons are wonderful but Manhattan is in a class of its own when it comes to having a plethora of 5 star hotels.

The differences are minor.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:05 PM

The differences are minor?
Interesting comment.
That's a bit like saying that differences are minor among top restaurants like Gramercy Park, Daniel, and Fifty Seven Fifty Seven. The Plaza is pocked with many relatively undesirable rooms, the 4 Seasons uses modern design elements throughout while most of the others are traditional, the RC Financial and Regent WS are in very undesirable locations for tourists, none of the rooms at the Plaza Athenee have great views while many of the rooms at the RC CP and 4 Seasons have spectacular views, etc. etc.
Most people will naturally gravitate toward certain top hotels in NYC and away from others depending on their tastes.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:56 AM

It's my understanding that the Regent Wall Street has closed or will close within the next couple of weeks.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:09 AM

"That's a bit like saying that differences are minor among top restaurants like Gramercy Park..."

Never knew they served meals in Gramercy Park...I'll have to check it out.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. I guess what we are looking for is a nice location and beautifully appointed rooms. As it is a special trip for us we want to splurge a bit but having never been to New York I don't know what to expect. OF course the websites make all the hotels mentioned look "grand" but would like to hear from those who have been there. TedTurner could you plese explain the distinct differences as you see them, that may help me a bit more. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:37 AM

The Lowell, on the upper east side, has Central Park views and the rooms have fireplaces....Definitely 5 star.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Regent Wall Street has closed, will reopen as condos.

Best for romance & luxury is the Plaza Athenee.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM
GoTravel

I left off the Waldorf Towers.

Let me rephrase this for you TedTurner, the Suites in the Plaza Hotel and not the standard rooms are very upscale.

Since when is the Financial District undesirable for tourists? Just because it isn't in Times Square doesn't mean there aren't plenty of tourist attractions. In fact, the Financial District is my favorite part of Manhattan as well as the oldest part.

Things to do downtown: South Street Seaport, St. Pauls Chapel, Trinity Church, Wall Street, Century 21, walk the Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, take the Staten Island Ferry for a great view of The Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan, The Museum of American Financial History, Museum of Jewish Heritage, Museum of the American Indian, The Woolworth Building, City Hall and City Hall Park, South Street Seaport Museum, New York City Police Museum, and the Fraunces Tavern Museum to name a few things to do.

I still think the differences between the top hotels in NYC are very minor. I consider decor to be minor. Whether baroque or ultra modern, the hotels still are luxury hotels with impeccable service and outstanding amenities.

I'll give you location.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Well, Loki, that's what I get for posting right before bed, eh?
The ambience at Gramercy Park is certainly open and airy...but I imagine the service is "pedestrian".
Gramercy Tavern on the other hand....

GoTravel: of course your basic point is correct that NYC has more top end hotels than any city in the US, and each serves the discriminating traveller quite well.
My point is that among these top hotels, some will make certain travellers MUCH happier than others.
So while all the hotels may be very good, the experiences they provide can vary a lot.
Example: I love being able to walk out the front door of the hotel and have 5th Avenue, Central Park and my favorite shops all a short walk away. I like being able to come and go several times a day if I choose without grabbing a cab or subway. So the Ritz FD won't work for me, even though it's a great hotel.
I have found that the service at the 4 Seasons suits my personality better than that at the Plaza.
I like staying in rooms with great views of the Park, and some hotels don't offer that option, while at others ALL the rooms have at least some panoramic city or park view.
Further, having stayed at several of the hotels you listed, I find some MUCH nicer than others in terms of room/bathroom quality and fresh appearance. From a relative standpoint this changes constantly as hotels wear and then refurbish.

Bonmark: it would be easiest to suggest hotels likely to meet your goals if we knew what you consider important. What else will you be doing while in NYC? Does view matter? Price range? Is great service really important or just a nice perk? Have you stayed at a lot of nice hotels and know exactly what makes you happy, or is this a once every few years splurge?
Any of the hotels GoTravel listed will offer a nice experience. You're likely to find some will suit you even better than others.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM

i might suggest the plaza athenee, which is where we stay for pure, 100% luxury, but to avoid the crowds. it's on a quiet upper east side street and well worth it, IMHO.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Again thanks for your replys. I hate to drag on and on but I am putting a lot of pressure on myself to make this trip as wonderful as possible. Yes location is important. We plan o go to a Broadway show, The Met. Art Museum, Empire State Building, hopefully Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. Possibly the Museum of Natural....Want to see as much as we can. Nice service would be a perk, bathrooms and lovely furnishings are important as we don't travel this way often (we have young children and this is our first couples only trip in a long time!)Park view would be great but isn't a deal breaker. Price under $550/night. (Can get St. Regis for $415). Thanks Again.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:39 AM

The Stanhope, The Stanhope, The Stanhope.
what new york hotels were and should be.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Great idea to suggest the Stanhope. It is no longer a boutique hotel but part of the Hyatt chain. I haven't stayed for many years but I do still like to sit in front at the little sidewalk cafe (weather permitting of course) and watch the crowds at the Met.

Incredible upper eastside location. Very romantic. LMF
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:23 AM

You may want to look at the new Mandarin Oriental. This hotel is brand new, super-lux and located near a lot of want you want to see. the chain has a great rep - I've stayed in two and they were unbelievable - and you may get extraordinary rates because it doesn't have a customer base yet.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM
GoTravel

Can't believe I left the New York Palace off that list.

Still stand by my statement that the St. Regis is tops in the city.

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Just another idea of romance and luxury, my trust fund friends would always hire a limo and driver for their New York weekends.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Well I'll throw a wrench in this discussion by saying it depends upon the room you get more than the hotel at this level. I'm a big fan of the Stanhope. I got married there-BUT-the "regular" rooms are nothing special there IMO. A suite is great or something with a park view. For a romantic weekend I'd opt for a suite or a park view wherever you stay. All the hotels mentioned so far are great.

Have you checked on luxurylink.com? They may have a weekend package you can bid on. Just make sure, if you find what you're looking for, that it's available for the weekend you want before you bid on it & research the value before bidding. Don't get carried away.

If you decide not to do that, I'd definitely contact the hotel you choose BY PHONE & try to negotiate the best deal. It's an off time/weekend. Let them know it's your anniversary & pour on the charm.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:57 PM

The Ritz Carlton Central Park is the best in Manhattan.

If you want a view, pay the extra $100+ for a Park Viwew Room.

If you want to experience one of the better Clubs in the RC system, spring for the Club Level and its great caviar presentation.

If you want to relax, spend some time in the La Praire Spa.

If you want to eat, try Atelier...the best new restaurant in NY according to numerous publications.

If you want to relax in the afternoon, stop by the Star Lounge for Afternoon Tea.

Or, have it all and get a suite. They are by far the best executive level suites around.

And, oh yeah, have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -