Luxury Destination Spa

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Luxury Destination Spa

Planning a girls spa week. Considering Rancho La Puerta, Miraval and Canyon Ranch. Have read so many negative reviews of each, anyone out there have another suggestion for somewhere great?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Someone w/ a better memory than me might remember an article in I believe the New YorkTimes from either last Tues-Fri. re spas. Or google NYT.com
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM

I remember one. The Mayflower Inn-Washington, CT or the Emerson in the Catskills
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM

I have had wonderful experiences at Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires - my cousin at the Tucson, and friends who have been to both and each have their preferences -
depends on what you want - do you want total health, fitness, no alcohol (except in your room) etc - and a place where you 'd leave the premises for that?

Or do you want a resort that has a great spa and exercise programs -

We have also done girls weeks at both - depends on what you are looking for - we usually do 4 days b/c one week of all spa would likely be too much for our group anyway -

We have spent 2 days "spa", exercise others plus add a different thing: golf, shopping, touring - and if we do it at resorts they have either dining options or we go out

A total spa experience, we tend not to leave facility and give it our all for 4 days

We've also done the Doral in Miami and Breakers in Palm Beach - two resorts with great spas plus other activitites.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:46 PM

I went to Rancho La Puerta in April 2006 and had the most fabulous time. The food is incredible, accommodations lovely and comfortable, and the classes were really fun. It was not pretentious and everyone I met was awesome. I just got back from visiting one of the girls I met in Chicago, and also went on vacation this summer with the other friend I made during that trip. I went with my mom and there were several mother/daughter teams there. It was one of the best holidays I've had in years.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:10 AM

I didn't love the Canyon ranch in the berkshires, and i wouldn't describe it as a "luxury Spa." i'd describe it more as a wellness spa.

the mayflower inn is amazing, simply amazing and very luxurious.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Aha. The NYT article is from the 9/5/08 Times I believe in the travel section. If you can't find it they mention the following.
spafinder.com
deerfield spa-
mohonk mountain house
lodge at woodloch
buttermilk falls inn and spa
winvian
mayflower inn
the emerson
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
mms

I love Red Mountain Spa in Utah. I have been several times with girlfriends and it has always been great. Definitely has a healthy twist to it, which I enjoy. There are various levels of hikes each morning if you opt for that, and loads of fitness classes and cooking demos among other things. The spa treatments are wonderful and their relaxation room is amazing! I always sound like a broken record because of how much I like it, but it really is a great girlfriends getaway
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM

I went with my Mom to Canyon Ranch in Tuscon and it was FABULOUS. I would highly recommend it to anyone and hope someday to return. I left feeling SO much better then when I arrived.

The food was excellent, the excerise classes were amazing and the spa services fabulous. Go for it.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM

That is an interesting spa list

We were just at Mohonk Resort in June -
went with my family but we did all spend one full day as a 'spa' day - but I wouldn't consider it a place to go to 'just spa' - more of the resort that also has a spa -

The locker rooms were gorgeous, great steam and sauna, all the little amenities (cold cuke slices for the eyes, etc)
very quiet female lounge and also male only lounge and one coed in between with large comfie furniture, fireplace, etc - the hot mineral spa outside fits about 4 comfortably -

Daughter and I had fabulous body treatments - my husband a great massage - my son a wonderful hot stone treatment, girls had mani pedi, etc - nice service of snacks/drinks available in lounges/ special teas after treatments -

BUT there are also wonderful, breathtaking hiking and bouldering and other activities (golf, horses, tennis, platform/paddle tennis -
report on rest of the resort is here if you end up considering it -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35154228

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM

Have you seen this special sale? It includes some nice spa resorts:

Two weeks from today (Oct 1st), The Leading Hotels of the World will have one heck of a sale. For only 80 minutes, starting at 8am est, high end hotels all over the world will have a rate of $19.28. You can only book 2 nights at each hotel, and the best part is that weekends are included!

Some U.S. hotels include:

Enchantment Resort & Mii amo Spa (Sedona, Arizona)

Bernardus Lodge (Carmel Valley, California)

The Hay-Adams (Washington, DC)
Biltmore (Coral Gables, Florida)

The James Chicago (Chicago, Illinois)

Wheatleigh (Lenox, Massachusetts)

La Posada de Santa Fe Resort & Spa, A Rock Resort (Santa Fe, New Mexico)

The Alex Hotel (New York, New York)

Check out the site, register, and on October 1st be ready to book:

http://www.lhw.com/1928_SIGNUP.aspx?ext=1928
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM

First, let me disclose that I work for Destination Spa Group, which includes both Canyon Ranch Destination Spas (Lenox and Tucson) and Rancho La Puerta. The most important thing to consider about the spas is what YOU want out of the vacation. What is YOUR purpose? What activities would YOU like to enjoy? Budget?

All Destination Spas are geared towards health and wellness and offer a complete program (not just fluff and buff). Resort Spas (many mentioned in the responses are Resort not Destinatoin Spas) are a large resort/hotel that have a spa as an amenity which you may or may not use. It is a completely different experience. I have visited all of the Destination Spa properties, including the three you are considering. Canyon Ranch and Rancho La Puerta are highly ranked year after year by Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, Spafinder, Spa Magazine, and many other publications. And they all enjoy a very loyal following of return guests. Our company does not rank spas, rather we verify that they offer an authentic Destination Spa experience. I have not personally visited Miraval but know several people who have and have enjoyed it.

Deerfield and Red Mountain were also mentioned in some of the responses - both are true Destination Spas. I'm happy to answer any questions for you via telephone or e-mail through our website.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM

been to Rancho la Puerta and Canyon Ranch in Tucson..
Loved both of them..
Golden Door and Cal A Vie are great high end spas too..both in North San Diego..Oprah goes to Cal A Vie quite a bit..at least she used to.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Ksucat - where is Cal A Vie??? I am off to google...
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM

spagoer has managed to top a year old thread.