Lunch in St. Augustine?

Search

Lunch in St. Augustine?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch in St. Augustine?

We're planning a day trip to St. Augustine one day next week (we'll be vacationing on Amelia Island). Any recommendations for good lunch spots in the historic area? I've read great things about Cafe Alcazar, but the postings are a little older, so I'm looking for some updated information. There will be three of us, including a 7-year-old, and we'll want something casual. Seafood is great, but we're open to other ideas. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:34 AM

We had a wonderful lunch at Cafe Alcazar in Feb. It is located inside the Lightner Museum (which we also found fun and interesting). The food was good and the atmosphere is very unique - enjoy! Another option we liked for desserts (but I believe they also serve a light lunch) is the Cafe Denoel - a French (or Belgian?) pastry shop. We loved stopping there! They aren't open until 11 or so.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM

I work in St. Augustine and live close, when we are in the historic area playing tourist, we like to eat at Scarlett O'Hara's. The food is always good, and casual. It is in an old house with pictures of Scarlett and Rhett you can eat on the front porch or inside on either floor. A1A Ale House is also a good choice, as well as O.C. Whites.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:31 AM

Café Alcazar (25 Granada St, Saint Augustine, FL 32084-4387) is a true hidden gem…and is definitely off the main tourist path. It is a small restaurant located in what was once the deep end of the world's largest indoor swimming pool, now the Lightener Museum building. The food is quite good (I love their curried chicken salad.) and the atmosphere is absolutely unique and very conducive to conversation. They don't take reservations and only serve lunch. If you have trouble finding them, you can phone them at 904-824-7813. Check out their Trip Advisor reviews: <http://tinyurl.com/5qlvrq>.

Barnacle Bills downtown is a more modest place. Their shrimp is very good and it is casual. Your 7-year old would be just fine here. Look for coupons here <http://www.therestauranttimes.net/> where you can get a free cup of chowder with every entree. Hint: print out one coupon for each person.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good info! I'll check out all the suggestions but am still very intrigued by Cafe Alcazar -- would casual dress (shorts/nice top) be OK?
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 01:29 PM

"would casual dress (shorts/nice top) be OK?"

Absolutely!

Cafe Alcazar is always my first choice to take out of town guests for lunch.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -- I think we'll give it a try. You said no reservations...is there a long wait usually? It would be a weekday, if that matters. Just not sure which weekday yet.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM

It might be 30 minutes wait, at most. Weekdays would be better than weekends. However, there are several small shops around the perimeter of the "pool" that are good for browsing.
Happy dining...and bring your camera!
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM

I am grateful to have discovered Cafe Alcazar from this site (thanks Orlando_Vic). We generally have a rule of thumb that if the meal is fabulous and we're not stuffed, we try the dessert. We all got dessert and it did not disappoint.

Yes, bring your camera. I took a picture of the picture of what it looked like as a pool (the picture is by the door to the street) and then took the same shot from inside. (See if you can turn your flash off and hold the camera steady on a railing or something for an interesting effect). Sort of cool.

Enjoy your meal!
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I'm really looking forward to the trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Hey bk-
Tell us about your lunch. Where did you finally go and how was it?