Lunch after pickup at Logan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am picking up friends at Logan on Thursday around 2pm, we are then headed up to Portland Maine. Can you suggest someplace we can stop as we head out of Logan or north to Portland not too far as I think they will be hungry and then we'll not want to drive too far because we'll be eating out dinner that night in Portland.

Thanks
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Okay, let's think about this.

If you are happy with Burger King and McDonalds, there are a million of 'em on Route 1 before you get to I-95. Ditto Portsmouth, NH, but that is too late to eat lunch if you are eating dinner in Portland.

You want a fairly light meal, more than a national fast food chain, preferably something regional? Any dietary restrictions?

You won't want to go to the North End because you will have a car and there is no place to park; similarly, parking will be problematic for the Italian and Hispanic restaurants in East Boston near the airport itself.

By the time you collect them and get them to the car, it is going to be well after 2. You don't have a whole lot of time to eat because traffic starts picking up at 3 when the many thousands of hospital workers on 7-3 shifts hit the road.

If you are in Terminal A, they could pick up something for you at one of the Jasper White places, either the grille or the takeout place. It is the best food in that terminal, and you can have a "picnic" in the car.

IF you are in Terminal B on the American side, there is a small branch of Legal Seafood, a grille, (don't remember the name) with better than average airport food at very reasonable prices, and they have good chowder, salads, and burgers as well as fish. I think there is a Legal Seafood in Terminal C, but it is only takeout and not as good.

If you are at Terminal E, you are hosed because the only "decent" food is through security, and it isn't much.

If you are in Central Parking, you can walk to the Hilton and have a salad in the bar.

That's about it, I think. I hope I am wrong.

The best might be for you to bring nice sandwiches from a deli or home to eat on the way, because really, you have little time to waste at that hour.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM

You will be heading north on Route 1 - which as mentioned above has every chain restaurant you have ever heard of.

Also a few local oddities. On the northbound side in Saugus is Kowloon (assorted Asian foods). Used to be really nasty food, but have eaten there twice in past year and was surprised that the quality of food has improved greatly. And where else can you see a giant plastic volcano erupt inside a restaurant.

On the southbound side (would have to turn around twice at exits) there is Hilltop - home to a herd of large grazing plastic cows in the front. Used to be better, but still good quality steaks, grilled items at moderate prices. Also on southbound side is Kelly's roast beef - used to be only 1, and that was at Revere Beach - a real local dive, mostly takeout. Now there are several, with this being one of them. Get the roast beef sandwich with lettuce, tomato and sauce. Pick up a couple hundred extra napkins. Also an order of onion rings (which are actually made from onions) - if there are 12 people in your car, you will still have some left over.

Depending on airline, set-up at Logan is weird. Some places that would seem to be outside security are quite difficult to get to if you are deplaning. Also, there is now a cell phone lot at Logan, so you may not need to get out of the car at all.

Or bring some snacks and stop in Newburyport for an really early dinner.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM

I was going to suggest Kelly's too, of course I grew up on Kelly's at Revere Beach, so I'm partial. Kelly's is a local "legend" and if you've never been, STOP THERE. The roastbeef sandwiches are great, but my favorite are the lobster rolls, not cheap but GREAT, and no visit is complete without fries or onion rings,,,,,,,,,,sigh, For directions check the Kelly's website.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM

www.kellysroastbeef.com
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM

If I were you, I'd just stop for fast food or something on Rt 1. You really don't want to leave the city and travel on Rt 1 any later than 3, the traffic is pretty heavy.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Hilltop...I loved buying their sirloin tips for cooking at home[big bags of them], back in late 70's when I lived there. They had great meat and food, sorry to hear it's not what it was.

Deb
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Border Café will probably hit the spot, you could split a couple of appetizers and a quesadilla, it’ll hold you over for a few hours til dinner. From the airport take Route 1A North about 2.5 miles , slight left onto 60 West, go about a mile then enter the roundabout onto aquire Road and
Route 1 north….Border Café is 3.9 miles up on the right. Route 1 then becomes 95 North up into Maine.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/border-cafe-saugus-2
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Have eaten at all the Route 1 places suggested above, and if I had to choose, I'd definitely opt for Kelly's. I've found Hilltop, Kowloon's, and Border Cafe to be inconsistent at best and pretty bad at worst.

There are a few decent sit-down food options on Route 1 before you get to the I-95 turnoff (The Continental, Donatello's) but they likely stop serving lunch after 2 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM

Gee, Gail and everybody, I would have recommended Kelly's in a minute if they had been going southbound, but I was nervous enough about the traffic buildup that I thought it might take too much time. We agree on what to eat, certainly!
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM

OK - it's decided Ackislander, bachslunch and I will meet you at Kelly's. When I just checked their website it reminded me that it is easier to get to off Route 1 northbound than I thought.

Leave Logan and follow signs to Route 1 North (not Rte 1A - different road) - should say towards Saugus. Exit at Lynn Fells Parkway - follow signs to Melrose which will take you over the highway and dump you right at Kelly's - it is visible from the road - white with green trim, I think. And when you leave you can get back on Route 1 north in a similar way without having to exit twice.

Kelly's has all sorts of fried seafood, salads, etc - so should be able to find whatever someone wants to eat. Get some fried clams so your friends feel like they are in New England.

You order at a counter and carry your own food to tables - so it is also fast. As far as traffic, I have found at that time of day traffic may be unpleasant around Logan and until you go a few miles on Route 1, but then will let up.

After stuffing yourself at Kellys and get back on Route 1, you want to follow it until you get to Route 95 north - road splits (Route 1 does not end) but it is well marked about 10 miles north of there. then stay on I95 to Portland (which also has great places to eat)
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'd do Kelly's as well. It's better than any fast food and certainly better than Border Cafe (horrible chain Mexican!) Hilltop is more dinner than lunch.

The good thing about Kelly's, logistically, like gail said, is the almost direct offramp from Rte. 1 North to Kelly's and back to Rte. 1 north again. You won't have to do the Route 1 turnaround, which is horrible in "good" traffic and suicidal during rush hour which you'll be hitting by the time you're done eating....
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 01:52 AM

I remember awhile ago mentioning Kellys as a recommendation and got dumped on, lol Kelly's has been around since the early 1950's and has even been mentioned in a few recent hollywood movies, so it's a legendary spot.

Trust me and order the lobster roll (pronounced "lobsta") and you will feel like a local!!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 03:22 AM

Depends on for what one would recommend Kelly's - not the best of the best in terms of seafood, the one on Route 1 not the authentic one, certainly no atmosphere. But for someone like OP looking for a quick and convenient meal en route to Portland from Logan - it was one of the first places I thought of.

This Kelly's location has been around only about a decade - so not the one out of the movies - this one looks like every other fast food place in the world except I think they still have a couple of nice fish tanks (decorative tropical, not flounders and halibut) inside.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'd never ordinarily recommend Kelly's either, especially the one in Revere, and especially to people from out of town. But for what this poster wants/needs, it fits the bill. I'd rather have a beef with sauce and onion rings than a Big Mac.