Lunch at Heathrow...how much?

Aug 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Lunch at Heathrow...how much?

We are a family of five (Mom, Dad, girls ages 14, 12 and 6) & will need to eat lunch in the airport between flights. Time is not an issue, but I've never flown into/out of LHR and haven't been to England in 10 years, so have no idea what to expect in terms of prices and choices.

Sure would appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer. We'll be in T-4, if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Aug 27th, 2004, 05:33 AM

As you will see in this weblink, there is a bewildering choice, from snacks and sandwiched (pret a manger is good quality for these), fast food outlets right up to sit down affairs.

http://www.baa.com/main/airports/hea...ing_frame.html
Aug 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM

As Kate said there are plenty of places to eat in Terminal 4. There are several coffee shops: Costa, Coffee Republic and AMT Expresso bar that sell Sandwiches, paninis, salads, cakes and pastries.

Pret a Manager is reliable and sells sandwiches, baguettes and wraps, Salads, sushi, pastries and cakes. Sandwiches range from around £2 to £3.50 depending on filing.

Est Est Est is a Italian restuarant selling pizza and pasta at around £6 to £8 for a main course. They usually do a children's set menu at £5.95.

There's also a Weatherspoon pub which sells pub type food at cheap prices of the buy two main courses for £6 type. Not great but adequate.

But do avoid Garfunkels!

Aug 27th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Terminal 4 is huge and there are all kinds of choices, most seemed reasonably priced for an airport. From sitdown Italian restaurants, cafes, seafood bar, to sandwiches to go. the Pret a Manger as mentioned had really nice sandwiches and salads premade and a seating area where I noticed several families like yours hanging out. What I didn't see was the convenient McDonald I used to like (boo hoo). Terminal 4 is all spruced up with loads of shopping, duty free, magazines, book stores to spend time if not money on a layover.

The only odd thing (to mention and different from the US) is they do not post the gate numbers for flights until about 30 mins. prior. So everyone is doing a stare at the screen and then run to your gate action. Not a problem, just one of those things it is helpful to understand before you experience it.
Aug 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up on gate information. I know that after a flight from SFO to LHR that I would have an been uneasy not being able to find my departure gate.
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM

One thing I noticed was how crowded everything was especially during mealtime hours. There were lines just about everywhere, so be prepared.