Louisville or Lexington?

Search

Louisville or Lexington?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louisville or Lexington?

I know the two cities aren't that far apart, but there are time issues, and we need to choose to spend time in Louisville or Lexington the day after visiting the Mammoth Cave area in Kentucky.
My husband and I are 50ish, like outdoor activities, interesting downtown areas, and music and theatre. Which would you choose?
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
casey_reed84

Definitely Louisville. It's a great city. You can go to Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger Factory and to Fouth Street Live (a great street full of live entertainment and great restaurants). There's not much to do in Lexington. I think you'll find Louisville a lot more fun. You could even drive just outside of Louisville to a famous distillery. I recommend Makers Mark Distillery in Loretto. It is an hour or so out of Louisville but has the best tour and most history. There is also Jim Bean and Jack Daniels near by.

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM

If you are interested in Churchill Downs then it would be best to go during live racing. Here is the calendar.

http://www.churchilldowns.com/calendar/?terms=6,5,8,4

There is a nice racetrack in Lexington called Keeneland. The schedule is more limited.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:14 AM

Yes, Louisville. There is a Muhammed Ali museum, Louisville Slugger factory tour, Slugger Field (watch a Reds minor league game), and enjoy lunch at any of the restaurants along the Ohio River. Lexington is a pretty drive with horse farms, but that's about it.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Louisville, as a former resident, we didn't care for the stuffy folks in Lexington much. Unless you are a UK fan....Ugh....

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Another vote for Louisville. Consider staying at the historic Seelbach, mentioned in The Great Gatsby.

If you like history, Locust Grove is worth a visit.

www.locustgrove.org