Louisville - New Orleans Roadtrip Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple girlfriends and I are taking a road trip from Louisville to New Orleans in April.

As the drive is approximately 11 hours we are trying to break it up by over-nighting somewhere along the route.

Nashville is too close to Louisville and though I’m drawn to Vicksburg/Natchez, that is almost an 11 hour drive in itself. Is it worth that to bite the bullet and put up the 11 hours in one day to see Vicksburg or Natchez via the GRR prior to LO? Our time is limited so we would really need to knock out this portion in one day.

Any other recommendations on towns to stay in along the Louisville/New Orleans route? Thank you!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM

What specifically draws you to Vicksburg/Natchez? I happened to prefer Natchez to Vicksburg, but depending on what you're interested in, that could easily be the opposite!

I agree that it's a really long drive to get to either place in MS. So again, if you're really interested in seeing one of those places, then perhaps cranking out the long drive in one day would be worthwhile. If you're more interested in a halfway point where there are interesting sites/etc, there's always Memphis...
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM

True - going through Memphis adds another hour in total to your drive, but it's the most obvious halfway spot with widely appealing tourist destinations.

Otherwise, if you decide pushing the 11 hours isn't really worth it, any number of towns along the way would be fine to sleep in (Huntsville, for example, or Birmingham).
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM

I have done that trip & we also included the Natchez Trace & stopped in Florence, AL. (not a great choice, btw.) Natchez is worth a stop, as is Vicksburg, particularly if you are a Civil War buff.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM

We are about a 10 hour drive north of New Orleans. My daughter went to college in New Orleans and I have been visiting the Big Easy for 40 years.

If the purpose of your trip is to get to New Orleans from our experience you won't feel like things are going until you get there. We usually either drive straight through or will drive as far as we can and stay some where within 1 1/2 or 2 hours out.

We then get up usually early drive into NOLA and have beignets at Cafe du Monde.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Stop about halfway in Florence, AL and have a great time at Marriott Shoals Hotel and Spa. Treat yourself to dinner and a massage on the TN River.

Marriott Shoals Hotel and Spa @ 800 Cox Creek Parkway South, Florence, AL 256 - 246 - 3600.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...hotel-and-spa/