Driving (taking time) - Jackson to Houston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you help a UK resident? I have to be in Jackson for a meeting on May 22nd and then have some time to spare before having to be in Houston on the evening of May 26th.

I am thinking of driving between the two cities. Clearly it is not that long a distance by the Interstates, but I was wanting to take some time for myself, exploring the countryside and generally meandering my way across country.

Anyone got any recommendations of where I should visit and stay on my way? I would be interested in visting some civil war sites, and am generally interested in history, current affairs and music.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I assume you mean Jackson MS. If so, drive over to Vicksburg with its various civil war sites, memorials, etc. Then head south on US 61 and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway. Visit the ante-bellum homes. Continue on 61 to Baton Rouge.

From there you'll have to backtrack a little, but I'd suggest taking HWY 1 and 18 (southeast toward New Orleans) and visiting some of the plantations (such as Nottoway, Oak Alley, Laura, etc). You could then head down to Houma (Houma House) and back to Lafayette on US 90 and through Cajun Country. Might try looking at cajuncountrytravel.com for some ideas and info.

At Lafayette, pick up IH 10 to Houston.

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Forgot to add that you can stay and eat at many of the plantations. We stayed at Nottoway years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The individual web sites should provide the information (ex. nottoway.com).
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM

With that much time, you can visit New Orleans itself as well.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM

I definitely recommend staying in New Orleans and visiting the plantations with that much time.

22nd: Drive to New Orleans after the meeting. That will take most/all of the day.

Night of 22nd: New Orleans

23rd: Explore the French Quarter/Garden District/whatever you can fit in a day...

Night of 23rd: New Orleans

24th: Tour plantations (Oak Alley, Laura)

Night of the 24th: Stay at a plantation like Nottoway

25th: Tour Cajun country (St. Martinville/Lafayette).

night of 25th: I'd probably drive to Lake Charles and stay at a hotel there (L'auberge du Lac is nice and you can gamble too). Be sure to visit the downtown Civic Center area - it's quite pretty.

26th: Drive to Houston. It's around 2.5 or so hours to Houston from Lake Charles.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
BKD

Londonman: If you've never been to New Orleans, then you should spend the time there. It will take three hours to get to New Orleans from Jackson. So if you leave after your meeting on the 22nd, you can spend three nights. From New Orleans you can visit some of the plantations, if you want, but there is plenty to see and do in the city. New Orleans to Houston is about 5-6 hours depending on where in Houston you're going. Frankly, I would ditch the car in New Orleans because you don't need it and fly to Houston (it's inexpensive and there are plenty of flights). The Interstate drive from New Orleans to Houston is not particularly exciting though there are a couple of pretty swamps. No offense to the previous poster, but I would NOT stop in Lake Charles. I don't get that recommendation.

If you are hellbent on "driving throught he countryside" and don't want to go to New Orleans, then I would stop in Natchez, Mississippi and spend a night and a day there. Lovely historic town on the Mississippi River. Then take Highway 61 to St. Francisville, Louisiana and maybe spend the night in a plantation home. Then I'd drive down to Baton Rouge (nothing really in Baton Rouge for tourists) to catch Interstate 10 and go to Lafayette, Louisiana to catch some Cajun and Zydeco music and spend the night there before heading to Houston.