Louisville Fireworks Display...When?

Jul 5th, 1998, 05:32 PM
Polly

Louisville Fireworks Display...When?

I just watched a Discovery Channel Documentary about fireworks which included footage of the fireworks display above...I believe they called it "Thunder (or Fire) Over Louisville." Is this an annual event? When? Where are good vantage points? Sounds incredible!

Jul 6th, 1998, 05:38 PM
Frank

Hi Polly, Frank again. I saw that same program, wasn't the fireworks incredible? I think they mentioned the fireworks are done a week or two prior to The Kentucky Derby. A mention of 600,000 people viewed the displays, so I imagine space would be sort of tough to find if you wait until the last moment to go. Keep watching Discovery and perhaps they will do a repeat on this show. I really enjoy the fireworks and over in Seattle, they also do a great display on the 4th and New Years. If I hear any more, I'll drop you a line.

Jul 10th, 1998, 03:02 AM
Jan H

The fireworks are for the kickoff of derby week each year. We live about an hours drive from Louisville and have gone for the display several times. It is certainly spectacular and well worth the time. You do have to book well in advance for a room at this time.
I can probably get you some more info on the dates for next year if you want to email me.
Jan H

Jan 1st, 2000, 08:48 AM
Polly

Jan...can you give me the year 2000 dates?

Jan 3rd, 2000, 04:41 AM
Andrea

Polly,

Thunder over Louisville will be held this year on April 15. I don't know where rooms will be available but I'd say the Galt House (right on the river) is fully booked at this point. Try the Hyatt Regency, the Seelbach, or the Brown hotel (they are all downtown and you won't have to park--a nightmare). I live in Louisville and wouldn't miss Thunder for the world.

Have a great time!

PS The best place to view is Waterfront Park (the Great Lawn). Get there early (before 10 AM) or you won't get a place! Email me with any other questions you may have.