Search

Lost River??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 01:26 AM
Leo

Lost River??

Hello, we are planning a trip to New Hampshire and Vermont this summer. We have been told there's a place in the White Mountains called Lost River. Anyone ever been there? Is it worth the trip? Any hotels in the area? Please gimme some info!!!!!!

Thanks a lot, Leo from Holland.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 04:38 PM
sandra engley

Lost River is near Loon Mountain. Have not had a chance to see this yet myself to report on it. If you go to www.visitnh.com you should find lots of info on New Hampshire. As for places to stay, North Conway area (another ski area) has at least a hundred places to select from, from quaint to condo. If you go to www.mountwashingtonvalley.com it will have info and links to all the attractions/hotels in the White Mountains, i.e. North Conway, Jackson etc. The Mount Washington Hotel and The Balsams being the most famous resrts in the area.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 08:07 PM
Elsa

Sandra is right about Lost River being near Loon Mt. It is about 1 hr. from N.Conway which is a nice town. However it is loaded with outlets and the traffic can get horrendous. It's very pretty in that area. On the other hand I think it's quieter over the mountains around Lincoln, NH (that's where Loon is). Lost River is a fun walk, through rock formations and along the river(if there's any water-we've not had any rain this year). I wouln't drive out of my way to visit it, but if you're in the vicinity it's a nice walk. Also in the Lincoln there's Clarks Trading Post and they put on a trained bear show, which was actually very good. They've been doing so for many, many, many years.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 02:05 AM
Leo

Thanks a lot, Elsa & Sandra for your tips. You've been a great help!!
Leo...

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 08:05 AM
Elsa

Hi Leo,
My husband suggested I should inform you that if you are claustrophoebic Lost River is not a place to visit. If any one in your group is, he/she could wait for the rest of you to do the walk. It's a nice area area , so one could read a book, nap, or whatever while waiting for the others to finish the walk. This "claustrophoebic business" didn't bother me at all, but my husband doesn't like that closed in feeling. In case you're wondering, no he isn't a whimpy kind of guy and he was a football player at one point. Not that that makes a whole lot of difference.
Elsa