Lost Luggage!

Feb 28th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Lost Luggage!

Has anyone else ever had their luggage taken by accident off the luggage belt?
I was studying abroad in London, my first time abroad, and when I got off my flight I waited for hours for my luggage to come off the belt. But it never did.
I finally had to take the last suitcase that was left on the belt, after 3 hours of waiting around, and took the risk that the woman whose suitcase I had perhaps had my suitcase.
So I had to trek across London to the hotel the woman was staying at, and luckily she had my suitcase! She didnít even apologise for her mistake, I was so mad but had to stay polite!
Anyway I guess I learned the hard way that you have to personalise your luggage. Since then I traveled with a large duct tape "X" across the whole front of my suitcase.
I found a good site www.idclarity.com. I bought a SkyCrest from them, its sort of a canvas quality image that sticks to luggage to identify it. I'm happy with mine.
I just hope that noone has to go through the stress that I went through that time in London. I didnít realise until then how valuable the contents of your suitcase actually are!
Happy travelling
Feb 28th, 2005, 08:34 AM

No advertising policy is clearly being violated!
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:06 AM
GoTravel

I look for the best dressed female traveler on the plane close to my size and steal their luggage when they aren't paying attention.

Feb 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM

GoTravel - LOL!!!!!!!!
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM
JJ5

I just happened to see a similar incident in play last week. The gentleman was outside of the baggage claim area and well on his way through the double row of doors, when another man caught up with him and spoke loudly,"Sir, you have my bag."

The strangest thing was that the abductor didn't even apologize but just dropped it, turned around and headed back without a snicker of acknowledging the person who had trapsed quickly after him quite a distance to get his own bag. With his own bag in hand, this true owner happened to look at me and did an incredulous shrug. He was red in the face.

Actually I have never seen as many "mistakes" as recently. I think Go Travel was quite funny, as well- but don't doubt that some are now doing exactly that, and not leaving the owner laughing. Also I think the rudeness levels at the turnstyles or turnarounds has greatly increased in the last year or two. I'm small and no spring chicken and my guy was shocked this last trip, as I was standing quite aside, when this young man rolled a big case and some golf club carrier right over me without a pause in his haste to leave the area. They also pull their case or hard-sider off the beltway and right into the others legs besides them.
Why, oh why does everyone push so!
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM
GoTravel

Honestly, it would have to be the most stupid crime ever to purposely steal luggage (unless it was for the luggage). You would not know what kind of clothes and other mess you would be getting.

Another reason I never check luggage. I hate having to mess around with the luggage carasel.

Feb 28th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Oh, GoT, you stole my answer. I was going to add that it's best to search out the luggage that has the "high priority" sticker/tag on it. Usually denotes business or first. And, of course, if you can sniff out the authentic LV, that's your best bet.
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM

By the way (as if I needed to mention this) -- I am kidding.
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
GoTravel

LOL, Michelle. I just can't imagine that this is even a crime.

Getting your own luggage is such a PIA that I can't imagine grabbing others. You could really only get one or two bags at a time and I think security would start to recognize repeat visitors to the baggage claim after a while.

Feb 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM
P_M

I put gold ribbons on my luggage so I can spot it quickly. One time I saw a woman pick up my bag without looking at the tag. I caught up with her and told her that's my bag, and she frowned at me like I was being rude. Maybe she was a thief, or maybe she was just made a mistake and was embarassed. I couldn't tell. In any case, whenever my plane lands I waste no time getting to the baggage claim, and I stand as close as possible to the place where the bags come out. This helps to prevent people from taking my bag, whether on purpose or not.
Feb 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM

This happened to a friend of mine when we went to the Bahamas. The only bag left on the belt was one that looked just like hers, but had someone elses tag on it. Thank goodness the other person was smart enough to put the name of his hotel in the Bahamas on his tag. The airlines contacted his hotel, but it took until the next day for my friend to get her luggage. She had NO identifying tags on her bag!! I can't believe she checked a bag that wasn't clearly marked. She had NOT made that mistake again!
Mar 28th, 2005, 09:55 PM

I found some very large, very neon luggage tags that I put on my bags to help prevent the mistaken pickups. (Embarasses the heck out of my husband and son when they travel). I purchase cheap luggage rather than expensive luggage to make it less inviting to someone looking to make a haul at the pick-up carosel. Also, when it gets beat up by the airlines its no big deal.
Mar 29th, 2005, 04:02 AM

It continues to amaze me that most airports don't check luggage leaving baggage claim area against your barcode tags. I can't think of any other situation where we rely so heavily on customer honesty.
Mar 29th, 2005, 06:06 AM
dcespedes

My mom had this happen recently--at BWI, a porter took her floral motif luggage off the belt and added it to a loaded cart. I wasn't there so don't know the exact details but she told me she saw her luggage on the man's cart as it headed out the door. She stopped him, explained the situation, then had to argue with him to check the tag--it was hers. Timing was everyting in this situation.

Mar 29th, 2005, 06:48 AM
OO

Back in the days (ahem) when people still rode trains, I was invited to accompany my best friend and her parents on a spring break trip to her uncle's in Boca Raton. Proud of my new tan when all others in New England would be pastey white, I began the return trip in white shorts and a sleeveless top, arriving in NYC looking, I thought, most cool and definitely feeling it--it was March. Bags were unloaded; people claimed their's and left, but there I was, shivering in my white shorts (by now with a chocolate stain on the front and a broken zipper to boot), and one lone blue bag left on the platform...a bag that was not mine, although mine was also blue. We turned it in to whomever at the station, and reported my missing bag (not even identical or anything close to that I should add.) Mine finally did arrive at my home in MA about a week or so later, sent from an address somewhere in the Hamptons by the woman who had taken it. Of course there were no "Sorry's" attached and it arrived with the added insult of a COD charge!!

I'm a quick learner of painful lessons. Today my ubiquitous black Tumi luggage travels with the most unglamorous multi-colored floral ribbons tied to the handles. LOL I'm not proud! Even so, I watch the carousel like a hawk. If the handles are turned in the wrong direction, someone could still snag it inadvertently and leave with it. To this day I breath a sigh of relief when we've collected the last of our bags. If there is a better method, I'm all ears, advertising or not.

By the way spongebob, I'm the proud owner and user of a Spongebob Square Pants mouse pad, a Christmas gift from one of our kids--and that's a story for another day...
Mar 29th, 2005, 07:48 AM
JJ5

Chicago Midway checks your bar code on your luggage as you leave. And I don't think I ever have it checked anywhere else but there.
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
P_M

I flew into New Orleans about 4 years ago and was pleasantly surprised that they checked my tag. I later found out that it's only when you fly SW Air that they will check your tags at that airport. Apparently SW hires the people in New Orleans who do that. I don't know if it's changed since then.
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Flew SW from TPA to MSY in February and they are no longer checking baggage as you leave. Did have it checked in the past.
But geezlouise this OP is nothing but spam....this guy trying to sell luggage markers!
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM

It really is a bit suspicious. This person has never posted before.
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
P_M

I am sorry to hear that they no longer check luggage tags at MSY. I was very impressed that SW was doing this to protect their passengers' luggage from theives.

Good observation about OP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO