Lost luggage

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
KW

Lost luggage

What kind of compensation, if any, do you get if airline loses your luggage? Should I fight for a monetary comp in addition to receiving the suitcase next day and an apology from the airline?
Tx.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
xxx3

If you got your suitcase back intact, be happy it didn't turn out worse and get on with your life. If you got your suitcase back the next day, it wasn't lost, it was delayed.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
travellyn

I generally don't complain to an airline if I get the luggage the next day. Usually a clerk will give me a verbal apology and the bags will be delivered. So far, for me, it's just happenned about 2 or 3 times, and it's been a minor inconvenience.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Yougotta

By all means press them for an apology - that'll make all the difference. lol.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
k

The nice thing about stuff like this-not long ago we had two incidents with luggage and a certain airline.
The first, our luggage was taken by accident by another passenger.The airline had it delivered to our door the next day.
The second, our luggage was soaked (somehow with something) and we made an angry phone call.
We recieved first class vouchers to any destination in the US,as an apology.
Don't laugh until you have tried it.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:15 AM
realist

If you got your bag back intact, consider yourself lucky. When you file a claim at the ariport, ask about their willingness to provide you with a voucher for essentials. You might get lucky. Probably not, but you might.

In terms of other compensation, unless you are a frequent flier, and by frequent I mean someone that hits their elite status every year, forget about compensation. Maybe they throw you a few thousand frequent flier points if the mistake was clearly theirs and was controlable.

Otherwise, be happy with the fact that you did get the bag back.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:03 AM
r-travels

Complain? I don't know- here's what happened to me.

Baggage not there when I arrived home (ALB) on a flight. Should have, it would seem, since I had a 3 hr layover on domestic flight. I was not concerned at all, just filed the usual info: name address, description of luggage, etc.

Next morning the airline called, said my bag would arrive within the hour. Since I was going to be near the airport anyway, I asked them to hold it, and I'd pick it up. Well - the supervisor gave me a $50 voucher for my "inconvenience", and also for being the only one of about 15 others with lost luggage who'd been congenial about the event. My baggage has been misplaced before, but I always get it back in reasonable amount of time, but this was the first time I walked away with $ in my pocket!