Search

KEY WEST, FLA.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:57 AM
NANCY

KEY WEST, FLA.

MY HUSBAND AND I WILL BE IN KEY WEST APRIL 23 THROUGH THE 28TH AND HAVE A RESERVATIOON AT THE HAMPTON INN. HAVE WE MADE A MISTAKE OR IS THIS A GOOD PLACE TO BE. WE ARE NOT TOO INTERESTED IN THE BEACH OR POOL, BUT IN GETTING A FEEL OF THE COMMUNITY. WE LIKE TO WALK AND LIKE TO EAT AT LOCAL PLACES. PLEASE HELP US MAKE THIS A WONDERFUL TRIP.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Anon

please don't shout

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:10 AM
susan

The Hampton Inn is on North Roosevelt Road, which is the busiest street in Key West. It's filled with strip malls and fast food restaurants. I think you'd be much happier if you got a place to stay in Old Town, where you'll be within walking distance of sunset celebrations, tourist activities and restaurants.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Ann

Susan's right on target. I went last year, and we stayed about 3 blocks off Duvall Street. The only time we ventured out that area was when we took one day to drive up the Keys. As Susan said, it's strip mall hell. There's no way I would stay there. There's a great website that lists just about every last B&B in Key West. I think it's www.keywestlodging.com, but I could be wrong. I found it just by doing a search. There pretty much is something for every budget.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:54 PM
anon2

anon,
maybe she doesn't realize that typing in all caps is considered "shouting"

anon2

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:28 PM
don

My suggestion: Find a place closer to Duval Street. Old Town is where you find the chrm that Key West is known for, not to mention the best area for walking and finding restaurants. It might cost a few dollars more. but I think you will find it money well spent.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:19 AM
florida

floating to the top.....

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:06 PM
bill

If you really want to get the feel of Key West, do not stay on Roosevelt. Stay at a B&B and get to know some of the locals. If you stay on (or near) Duval, you can walk everywhere. If you stay on Roosevelt, you will need a car or taxi.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:06 PM
nancy

sorry about the shouting. I didn't know the rules.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
anon

Not a rule, just courtesy.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
dtravel

As for the "shouting" CAPS I would list that under my "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" replies. We all understand what the poster wanted to know and this is indeed a message board directed at helping others find answers to their questions. To me etiquette is about being helpful and polite. We own a business that happens to cater to lots of seniors who do tend to unknowingly shout and bless thier hearts I would never consider telling them to not shout. Instead we laugh "with them" not at them. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:39 AM
charles

For what you want, stay in Old Town. The Hampton is not a good choice.

Do a search on this site - its got a lot of good info