Reload this Page >

Los Angeles/San Diego adventure...need help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Kim

Traveling to California for a week in March 2002 with my husband and three children (18, 16, 13). We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel for 4 nights. We plan on doing a day in Disneyland, a day in California Adventure and a day in Los Angeles/Hollywood. Any suggestions on what to see or do and interesting places to dine while visiting Hollywood that will keep my kids interested?

Also, planning on doing 3 nights in San Diego where we will do a day in the Zoo, and a day at Sea World. The remainder of the time will be at the beach. I am trying to find a hotel that will be close to the beach and have adjoining rooms or suite...reasonable...about $200-$250 a night. Stayed at a place in Pacific Beach with my husband last year about a block off the beach...what a dive!! I don't want to stay there with my children. Pacific Terrace, although expensive, is already booked for that week (happens to be Easter week). Any suggestions? I've been toying around with the Bahia Resort Hotel. They have a 1 bedroom suite with a pull out in the living room...only downside is that there is only 1 bathroom. I'm traveling with 3 teenagers and would like to be able to all shower and leave the room before noon, if you know what I mean! I'll probably end up booking that, any comments on the Bahia? Any help, suggestions or comments will be very much appreciated!! Thanks,
KIM

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Monique

I would by the park hopper dual pass that lets you into both parks instead of individual tickets to the parks. I say this because I thing a whole day at DCA might be too much. From everyone I have heard from they thought it was boring and were ready to leave in 3 hours. I haven't been before even though they did send be FREE tickets. i do have to admit I have a beef with them but that is for another thread. Needless to say though I wouldn't go if it was free. Which it was but I threw the tickets away.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Barbara

Kim, you could also look at the Hyatt Islandia. They might have some deals you could take advantage of. There's also the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge, right on the beach in Pacific Beach and the Catamaran, which is owned and operated by the same company as the Bahia. It may not be beach weather in March, definitely not swimming weather.
While in Hollywood, you could check out that new complex that will house the Oscars form now on. I read an article about it the other day - I think it's called the Kodak Center and/or theater.By March, all the shops and museums should be open. Hopefully, someone who knows more than I do about LA will also respond!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:49 AM
xxx

bahia is nice and good location. also the catamaran is even better i think. 1/2 block to the beach, bay area is right there, and nice pool area. there are lots of places to walk to that the children could go alone if they need "space".
i tried to book such a place for my sisters family and didn't find many...the regency plaza in hotel circle was where they ended up. good price but you have to drive everywhere and the rooms were on the small size.
there is a condo that rents out suites just north of the crystal peir in pacific beach but i can't remember the name. maybe someone else can help.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:52 AM
xxx

If you can afford to, I'd suggest staying at the new Lodge at Disney as opposed to the older hotel. It's such a grand hotel for families.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:08 PM
patty

Re dining in Hollywood - House of Blues has a restaurant (The Porch) and a Sunday gospel brunch, just like in New Orleans. I always like Chin Chin on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood - casual, sit outside (or in) American Chinese. There are two coffee shop/diners on Sunset Blvd - the retro one, Duke's, which has no dinner on the weekends and the hip new one, The Standard, which is open 24 hrs. Duke's is at San Vicente and The Standard is at Sweetzer.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Janet

Call a real estate company that rents homes or apartments in Mission Beach. Believe me the kids will love it and it will be much easier on the adults. If not the Catamaran Hotel is the best location for you.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:21 AM
FL Gal

Things to do w/the kids in Hollywood/L.A. - LaBrea Tar Pits is pretty interesting, even for the wee ones. Also, take them to the Walk Of Fame and find the stars and imprints of your favorite celebs (they'll probably think the footprints/handprints of Darth Vadar, R2D2, & C3PO are pretty cool!). You can also go on tours of the t.v. studios and to free show tapings. Check out the studio sites for more info on dates & times - if there is a show you want to specifically see (especially if it is popular) check WAY in advance. Have fun!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Merilee

Mel's Drive-In (50's style diner) on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood is a good place to go with kids...it's casual, reasonably priced, decent food, (try their burgers and shakes) great for people watching...you can dine inside or outside...I don't know if its still there but I'd also recommend Ed Debevic's on LaCienega (restaurant row)...these are fun places that you can enjoy with your kids. My kids liked Griffith Observatory...they can see how much they weigh on different planets and check their ages in light years, etc. You also get a great view of the Hollywood sign from there.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:17 PM
xx

In & Out Burgers and Tommy's Burgers are the two popular hamburger places in Southern California for kids of any age!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Peter

We just stayed at Paradise Point on Mission Bay in San Diego -- it was SUPER! Fantastic property -- a real resort feel. You might be able to squeeze in for $250-ish: www.paradisepoint.com

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Thyra

Hi Kim,
Well if you are only planning on spending a day in Hollywood then here is what I would do (Since I live in Hollywood).
Go up to the Walk of Fame.. the New Kodak Theatre with the monster center opens this friday (November 9th!!!!) It's fashioned after DW Griffith's silent movie Babylon set from the 20s.
Make sure to see a film at Graumans Chinese.. check out the foot prints. Stroll. Have coffee at Grand Central coffee in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, shop in the little souvenier stores and stroll through the monster Hollywood Highland mall.
There is also a Mels diner on Highland a block south of Hollywood Blvd. Same 50's cafe flavor and within walking distance to the Hollywood Highland corner.
Since your kids are older. If you have any musician's in the group you can walk to Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. (1 Block S. of highland and go West 1 block) You can see the Rock Walk and eat at the Sunset Grill.
Another restaurant that is high end pricy but NICE and has an amazing view of Hollywood is
Yamashiro above Franklin Japanese 4 star cuisine, with plenty of prime rib etc. for the non-sushi eaters.
Micheli's is THE best restarant for comfort old style Italian cooking it's about 4 blocks East down Highland and then S. on Las Palmas... it's one of the oldest restaurants in Hollywood.
You can take the metro for $2.70 per person from the Hollywood/Highland stop to Universal Studios in Universal city if you want to see that.
You can go to the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum.
Or Hollywood Wax Museum (Both cheesy so you have to be in that "cheesy fun" mode)
There is an Internet cafe on the corner of La Brea and Hollyood Blvd. if you or your kids need to get connected.
There is also Musso and Franks Deli on Hollywood Blvd. Great deli food but pricy!
Pig N'Whistle on Hollywood... also pricy but good high-end Italian... very trendy crowd.
These are all things within' walking distance so you will only have to pay to park once.
Let me know if you need more info.
Welcome to Hollywood.