Search

Los Angeles Dining

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:41 AM
biztraveler

Los Angeles Dining

I will be in Los Angeles for business for 4 days. Could someone recommend some restaurants where I can comfortably dine alone? I'm looking for something new that's not the usual diner, hotel, fast food or sports bar options. Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM
L

At all costs, avoid the two Border Grills in Santa Monica ... these are actually recommended by Frommers ... dirty places. Instead, take a drive west on the PCH to Malibu, and try Allegro at about 27500 ... just a 100 yds. west of casa Malibu. Wonderful italian food. Ciao

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Karyn

What do you mean the TWO Border Grills? there is only one, on 4th, and it's not "dirty". It's a great restaurant, the margs are great, and there is seating for dinner at the bar or at a huge table by the bar that seats 20-25 people - so you don't have to sit alone. Also, try one of the good sushi restaurants and sit at the sushi bar. It depends on how much you want to spend...Nobu, Matsuhisu or R23 (Malibu, Bev Hills (I think) and downtown, respectively) are amazing but really expensive. Hama, Hana and Tengu (Venice, West LA and Westwood) are less expensive. Where will you be staying?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:17 AM
biztraveler

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I'll be staying in Marina del Rey but I'm open to pretty much anything; if I had to pick, it would be around West LA (that's where the meetings will be.) I would also like to try foods that are hard to get in the Northeast.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:44 AM
L

Well, Karyn, Borders Grill has a sister restaurant, perhaps not by the same name, but ownen by the same people. And yes, I had the unpleasant experience of eating at the very Broders on 4th Street you mention, in late March. Food all over the floor. Crowded beyond belief. So damned noisy we couldn't hold a converstaion. Millions of screaming kids, all over the two rooms. More like a Hard Rock joint than a place to eat. Tables jammed together. Just lousy food, lousy. Cold, overcooked, terrible looking stuff. I live in DC ... we know a thing or two about food. Please do not explain to me how good it was!! Rude staff, with the exception of our waiter who tried. Terrible, weak, huge Margs. - just weak stuff, really assembly line. Warm, little ice. I talked with the managers, I wrote them a letter, I contacted the owners. Do you know what their response was? They mailed one coupon to my home for a free ice cream the next time I am in LA and eat at Borders. I suppose that means my wife and I have to flip for it. So, before you defend one of your sacred cows, check it out ... have a meal there. It was pretty much in synch with the entire Sanmta Monica scene ... the place needs a good wash. Riding on its rep, and it is seedy bigtime. Now, Malibu, that place has class and interest. My advice to people going to SM ... just keep on driving west. Malibu awaits! Ciao

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Karyn

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at Border Grill. I HAVE been there many times and have enjoyed it. But I'm not affiliated with it, so I'm not going to defend it. and I live in Santa Monica and there are many parts of the city (perhaps not the promonade in the height of tourist season!) that are very nice - Montana Street, Bergamont Station, the beach north of the pier, hiking or biking in the mountains, etc. Of course, to each his own.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Brad

L -- did you get accosted by any of those lovely homeless people that are quite coddled in Santa Monica?!? You're rigbt, too -- it's a far cry from a place like Naples, Florida!!!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Chuck

Biz -- in West L.A., try La Cachette, an excellent French restaurant (Provence style food)). Also, if you have never tried one of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants and can get to one, here are the three you should consider:

1. Granita in Malibu
2. Chinois on Main in Santa Monica
3. Spago in Beverly Hills (closest to West L.A.)

Happy Eats!!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:11 AM
Gary

Definitely try Carafe on Melrose. The prices are right. The room is beautiful and the food is great. The staff is very welcoming. It a favorite neighborhood spot. Their number is 323-655-8880 Melrose/Sweetzer.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:43 AM
paula

As you are staying in MArina del Rey, you have several good options right there as well - Benihana, Cheesecake Factory and The Chart House all in the same neighborhood.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 12:20 PM
David

Another vote for the west Beverly Hills Spago--probably the best of Puck's properties. In the same area, I recommend the Fenix Room at the Hotel Argyle. Excellent French food and a fabulous outdoor (in the back) patio that offers spectaclar views of the hills ( I have dined there alone several times and never beeen made to feel self conscious). Exceptional food, service and wine list.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 05:17 AM
LAP

TTT

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 11:04 AM
russ

Joe's in Venice is about 7 minutes from Marina del Rey at 1023 Abbot Kinney Blvd. (bet. Main St. & Westminster Ave.) Venice, CA, 90291-3386 (310) 399-5811

It is tied for the highest food rating in the Zagat's guide, without the pretentiousness of many of the others. Here is the review from Zagat's:

"If chef Joe Miller started a cult, I'd be there" vow disciples of this "friendly" Californian "gem among restaurants", the keystone of the burgeoning Abbot Kinney Boulevard dining scene; its "incredible", "always innovative" menu offers "some of the most on-the-mark food in town", so it's no surprise that the "crowded", "noisy" spot's "still a tight squeeze" even after a recent expansion.