Los Angeles Coliseum tips

Aug 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Los Angeles Coliseum tips

Hello Fodorites! We are traveling to the Los Angeles Coliseum in a few weeks (staying in Santa Monica) and I'm hoping some knowledgable folks can give us a few tips. I'm a little nervous since from what I've read, the Coliseum isn't in a very safe part of Los Angeles. Any recommendations on safer places to park or directions from which to walk to/from the stadium since it will be evening when we leave? (Or maybe I'm just being paranoid?)

As always, thanks for your patience and advice!
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM

The Coliseum is not in a great part of town but you will be fine during the day. It's right next to USC campus and the area is pretty well patroled. Just like any other major city, watch your surroundings and travel with another person if possible. Relax and enjoy!
Aug 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM

If you are going to the Coliseum - so will thousands of others. So even though it isn't in a great part of town - there will be hundreds of other people walking to the same area where your car is parked.

I wouldn't linger around - but walking to your car will be fine.

http://www.lasports.org/lafacilities...s=Stadium&id=8
Aug 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM

Ohio State fans, perchance? There will be 93,000+ people at the game and it will seem like at least half that many police officers, traffic cops, stadium security people and parking attendants.

There are many public and private parking lots surrounding the stadium, but for this game they will fill up fast and very, very early. There are also many lots available on game day on the USC campus a short walk from the stadium. People will be tail-gating in the public lots, in the park adjacent to the stadium and on the USC campus.

Coming from Santa Monica (on the 10 Freeway, I presume), I'd exit at Vermont, go south and park on the USC campus. I would want to arrive 60-90 minutes before kick-off.

We've been attending USC games for more than 30 years and have never had a safety issue of any kind. Although this area isn't the nicest part of L.A., it has improved a great deal over the years.

Go Trojans!

Aug 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM

The following has links to parking info, including the lots on the USC campus (see Vermont on left side of screen):

http://www.lacoliseum.com/
Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. Yes, it's the big OSU v USC game. I guess my question was relative- as in, is there a better area to park versus another. I just didn't want to end up in some out-of-the-way place accidentally. I believe Jean pretty much answered my question. Thanks everyone!
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM

leeni8, I hope you see this...

I'm hearing from many people going to the game that they plan to arrive up to 3 hours prior to kick-off. So, arrive very early and picnic or visit one of the museums in Exposition Park. You could even go see an IMAX movie:

http://www.nhm.org/expo/expopark.htm
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I'd park right there at the Coliseum, knowing it will take you sometime to get in and get out. More and more people tailgate these days -- to see the Bruins, you often want to be at the Rose Bowl 3 hours before the game. Don't know (or care to know!) about USC.
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM

To park AT the Colisseum for this game, I'd suggest you arrive many hours before kick-off. I'm not kidding.

We're planning to arrive before 2:00 p.m., and we have a parking pass.

StubHub reports that demand for tickets to this game exceeds all other regular season college football games in their history. It's the 12th most popular event in StubHub's history.

Actually, leeni8, in lieu of parking hassles, consider that StubHub is selling tickets from $170 to $1,416 EACH!

Search this Thread