Search

Los Angeles,Ca.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles,Ca.

We will be in LA for 2 or3 days in June. Do we need 3 days? What places of interest are a must see? Should we see the Getty home and the Getty center? Is it wise to do a city bus tour as I have heard nightmares about traffic in and around the city? Is it easy to park all over? We have been to Disney World many times and so are not doing Disneyland or Univeral.
Is the Queen Mary worth the trip to Long Beach to see? We have noticed that there are at least 4 Studio tours one can take. We thought Paramount looked interesting- as we are "middle-aged"- What do you think?
Also suggestions for some restaurants that are a must. Moderate would be great though if one is worth the splurge -we will treat ourselves. We will be staying near Santa Monica.
Lots of questions- HELP!!! Thanks so much.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Yes, both Getty's are worth seeing, and you can fill any number of days, depending on your interests. Traffic is less bad on the weekends and mid-day, although staying in Santa Monica puts you in the most congested part of Los Angeles. If you want to spend time at the beach, it might make sense, but it is often foggy in June ("June gloom").

No, I wouldn't go to Long Beach with such a short stay.

If you haven't already looked at the destination guide, it might be a worthwhile read for you.

The top "yuppie" restaurants of the moment are probably Mozza, Providence and Craft. Only Craft is convenient to Santa Monica (located in Century City). You can use opentable.com to get a res. If you are adventurous you might enjoy Orris on Sawtelle Blvd which is Japanese French tapas and not far from Santa Monica. There is an "old school" Mexican restaurant in Santa Monica that is a neighborhood favorite from long long ago...Gilbert's El Indio (cash only) at 2526 Pico Blvd (310-450-8057.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Traffic is less bad on the weekends and mid-day

In Los Angeles, that's very "relative". Traffic from south of the airport to Hollywood, for example, can be horrendous on a Saturday afternoon.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Both Getty museums are great, but if you're only in town for 2 or 3 days I don't think you need to see both of them. I'd pick one.

I also wouldn't bother going all the way to Long Beach since you're in town such a short time.

Of all the studio tours, Warner Bros. is the best. I've been on them all (and worked on all the lots)-- trust me on this. The NBC tour is also great.

I haven't been on the new double-decker tour buses but have seen them all around town. If you're not comfortable driving in the city then yes, I think this is a good way to cover a lot of ground.

So, I would suggest that if you have three days, you spend one day at whichever Getty you select and then doing some sightseeing around Santa Monica (the Promenade, the Pier, etc) and then one day doing the Warner Bros. tour and a bus tour around Hollywood. The third day you could either just relax at the beach or do some more sightseeing.

Restaurants...
Here are some suggestions nearer to Santa Monica. For something casual, check out The Counter in SM (on Ocean Park Bl.)-- locals rave about the burgers. Head down to Venice for a bunch of wonderful options. Lilly's, Joe's, Gjelina-- all great! If you want to treat yourself, Melisse in Santa Monica is one of the best restaurant in L.A. It's fine dining and not cheap, but the food is excellent.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the old-timey LA stuff... Olvera Street, Chinatown, Farmer's Market, La Brea tar pits, walk of the stars, etc.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Forgot to mention Griffith Park Observatory. And Griffith Park also has the Gene Autry Museum which is interesting. Both are not too far from Hollywood, there is a free shuttle on the weekend to the Observatory. Be sure to allow time for one of the shows in the Planetarium. The Observatory is completely free, other than the Planetarium shows. Be sure to read the info on obtaining ticket on the website.

http://www.griffithobs.org/
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Restaurant at the Getty Center is very good, and a most-memorable setting . Make a reservation if you're there on a Saturday, go up to the Museum late late afternoon, stay for a sunset dinner, open til 9. On other days the restaurant is only open for lunch.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

We are not locked in to staying in Santa Monica. Just didn't know where to stay and so chose there. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a hotel that is more convenient for sightseeing? A nice area and moderately priced.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Erin 74- We will take your advise on Warner Bros tour but we also LOVE old films. Is it the same old to take both tours if we have time?
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica recently and really liked it there. It is a very good value, and a great location. You can walk a couple of blocks to the beach from the hotel. We had a good meal at Lobster and the beachfront restaurant at The Shutters.

For less expensive, we like to stay in the Marina del Rey area at the Marriott Courtyard, which has a nice outdoor pool.

Have you looked for tickets to a taping, like the Jay Leno show? It's really fun to see it done, and I personally prefer that over just a studio tour. Google for tickets and you'll find the site which shows taping dates and guests on the shows. It's free, but best to get them in advance.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
lvk

Try www.tvtickets.com or www.tvtix.com for information on show tapings. They usually list schedules for 30 days out.

For bus tours: www.starlinetours.com, www.viptoursandcharters.com
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM

We like to stay in Century City which is adjacent to Santa Monica on the east side of the 405. Holiday Inn Express works for us and the price is good. You could try Priceline and get something better for less, though. For restaurants, I recommend Misto in Santa Monica for casual, inexpensive Italian food that is easily shared; Chaya Venice in Venice for wonderful seafood (more expensive), Inn at the Seventh ray in Topanga Canyon for a delicious and different lunch experience. Getty Villa and Griffith Observatory also get my vote for things to do. You could do the Getty Villa in the morning, have a nice lunch there, and then do Griffith Observatory late in the day so you can see the views of LA and a beautiful sunset.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM

The downside of show tapings is that they take a long time. Jay Leno gets you in and out pretty quick (with the exception of waiting in line) but if you go to, say, a sitcom taping you could easily be there for 3 or 4 hours. And you're not allowed to leave early.

The thing about the Paramount tour is that there's less backlot space there, which is what's really fun to see. That tour takes you around the small backlot and points out other areas of interest (the Dr. Phil studio, for example) but isn't that thorough. The Warner Bros. tour, by contast, includes their larger backlot, stops inside places like prop storage, actual TV & film sets (depends on what's shooting there at the time) and winds up at the wonderful little museum they have there. There's tons of history on that lot, too, and they provide a better tour. However, if you have the time there's no reason you couldn't do both.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM

You might consider staying closer to Beverly Hills or Hollywood.

Eg Farmer's Daughter is simple hotel that gets good reviews. Depending on your budget there are some more expensive choices around Beverly Hills.

It's still a very congested area but at least you are closer to studios, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM

Only 3 days! Wow, there is a ton to do. Santa Monica is beautiful so you will enjoy staying there. Century City is more central but its mostly office buildings and a mall. I wouldn't recommend it for a tourist.

Both Getty Museums are wonderful, but different, and you may still need advance tickets for the Getty Villa. The Getty Villa is on Pacific Coast Highway, recently re-opened after a long renovation. It has the museums antiquities collection. The other Getty is high on a hill with beautiful views on clear days. It is larger than the villa but, in my opinion, the main attraction is the building itself (made with fossils visible to the naked eye) and the views.

I would not take the time to go to the Queen Mary. Long Beach is a good 45 minutes by car from Santa Monica and the Queen Mary is pretty old and dilapidated, last time I went. Also, the ships furnishings were sold off long ago to pay for debts so it's not particularly interesting to see inside either.

Griffith Observatory is lovely. It will be a little bit of a trek from Santa Monica but you could do Hollywood on the same day.

Many of the restaurant suggestions on here are good but I'd be happy to give you more if you're interested (just let me know price range). There are a ton of great restaurant in Santa Monica / Venice (esp. on Abbott Kinney).
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM

The Huntington botannical gardens & art galleries are worth a trip, IMO.
www.huntington.org

Located about 10-15 freeway miles north-east of downtown LA, along border between San Marino & Pasadena. Beautiful area.

The Huntington is pretty large (over 200 acres), and depending on one's interests & stamina, could be anywhere from a 2 hr to 5 hr visit.

Adjacent Pasadena (esp "Old Pasadena") has literally 100s of restaurants to choose from.
www.pasadenacal.com
www.oldpasadena.com
www.onecolorado.net
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM

We'll be flying into LA for 3 days before going on a cruise out of the Port of LA in July. (yes, we're hoping for the original Mexico itinerary). Since our 3 boys will be with us, we will be spending one day at 6 Flags Magic Mountain. We will go to a family picnic in Encino one day, will try to get TV tickets or go on a studio tour one day, and of course have to get to the port our last morning. Any suggestions for where to choose a hotel given all the areas we will be going to? I don't know a thing about LA other than what I've read above - and that was a lot of great info already!

Once we return from the cruise, we will have the full day before boarding an 11:20 pm flight back to the east coast. We'll have a car to hold our luggage and are looking for good teenage boy-friendly suggestions on what to do this last day. My kids wouldn't be too interested in the Getty Museums.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:02 AM

For you pre-cruise itinerary you might look into Burbank or Glendale..Burbank especially gets you beyond the congestion as you head out to 6 Flags.

Not going too far from the airport, maybe a beach day if it isn't foggy, or see the freak show at Venice Beach.

Griffith Park Observatory is close to Hollywood, but I would go early and be back closer to the airport before 3 pm to avoid traffic as much as possible.