Los Angeles Area Speakeasies 2018

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Changing up the vibe a little from Maitaitom's 2018 food recs, I thought I'd start a thread on so-called speakeasies in the LA area, since some close down and some crop up. Ever since the Writer's Room behind Musso & Franks closed up, I need to work harder on finding new little hide-aways!

My first venture years ago was the Basement Tavern in a basement in Santa Monica off Main Street that is still there. Entry is in the parking lot behind the Victorian house at 2640 Main. Then back in Hollywood, Good Times at Davey Wayne's, a stone's throw from the Fonda and Pantages Theatres has been a fun, go-to bar, if you can dig the '70's style theme. 1611 N. El Centro.

There's a few fun spots in Culver City . . . the Blind Barber hidden within a real barber shop. 10797 Washington, Culver City. And, of course, the absinthe driven Seventy7 Lounge in an alley off of Culver City's Main Street.

Most recently opened is Seventy7 West, which is hidden in the basement below the newest sports bar in Westwood Village (Rocco's Tavern) at 1000 Gayley. Terrific bartenders there.