Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Los Angeles Area Restaurants 2018 - Keep On Eating!

Los Angeles Area Restaurants 2018 - Keep On Eating!

Feb 6th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Los Angeles Area Restaurants 2018 - Keep On Eating!

I'll start with this one...It was so good we visited four times in November and December.

There aren’t too many restaurants I can recommend for breakfast, lunch, happy hour AND dinner, but Great Maple in Pasadena (also with locations in La Jolla and Newport Beach) nails every one of them. From French Toast to an Old Fashioned with a hefty piece of Spicy Maple Bacon to Chicken and Donuts, not to mention the best piece of apple pie that I can recall eating, this place is a quadruple threat … at affordable prices. Keep the calorie counter at home!

Great Maple - Pasadena - Travels With Mai Tai Tom

Feb 6th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Wow, Tom, Great Maple sounds like a must for breakfast in Pasadena or back down here in La Jolla. Do you favor it over The Cottage?
Feb 6th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I've never been to The Cottage. It's been awhile since I've been in La Jolla.

Feb 15th, 2018, 11:46 AM

maitaitom, do you know why Café Bizou in Pasadena closed? Somewhere online I read it was a "victim" of Pasadena's new(?) minimum wage law. Hmmm. Will we be seeing closures left and right, or was there another reason Bizou closed? I see their S.O. location is still open....

Just curious as CB was one of my elderly mother's favorites.
Feb 16th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Jean I do not know the exact reason. I heard those rumors about wages, also. I can tell you this however...for years Cafe Bijou was our go-to restaurant in town, but in the last couple of years we had a few disappointing meals, and the service was atrocious on our last visit. We (and I will add, many of our friends) just stopped going there due to those factors. We have so many choices that it was just a waste of time to dine there anymore. Too bad, at one time we loved the place, and two dollar corkage didn't hurt either.

Feb 16th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Well, c'est la vie. I guess.

Thanks.
Feb 17th, 2018, 11:00 AM

Since Pasadena is coming up, I have a question. I will be interviewing for a position in downtown Pasadena and will be doing a dry run to check out my commute. What are the good, not too expensive lunch choices around Colorado and Los Robles? Paseo Colorado isn't too far; will I find something good there, or should I continue over to Old Town?

And a quick reco: My husband and I have been on diets to try and whittle off holiday weight, but we blew our diet for one night at La Traviata in downtown LB (latraviata321.com), in the historic Willmore Building. It's a lovely place with tasty Italian entrées, a darned good wine list (was that an Anderson Valley pinot noir? Yes, and it was unique and wonderfully drinkable!) and charming wait staff, with live entertainment on the weekends to enhance the romance. Sometimes you just want an elegant, friendly place serving food you will want to eat without needing a semiotician explaining each freeze-dried, foamed and/or sous vide nuance to you. A bit off the main drag of downtown Long Beach, so it has a real locals-only flavor to it; the fact it's in the ground floor of a building filled with residential lofts reinforces that vibe. Nothing life-altering, just heartwarming and satisfying.
Feb 18th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Happy Hour at Great Maple

Thanks maitaitom for suggesting this during our recent stay in Pasadena. While we had dinner at Union, we almost didnt need to since we had very substantial Happy Hour tastings at Great Maple a couple hours before. We tried their Brisket Sliders which consisted of three rather substantial sandwiches, and also their Cauliflower Hummus which was a large container w pita crisps and freshly cut crudites. Absolutely delicious. Tender brisket, great sauce. While we wanted to return for brunch the next morning, it only opened at 11, and we wanted to get an earlier start. Glad to see they are also in La Jolla in UTC and downtown San Diego.
Feb 24th, 2018, 07:39 PM

Wow, I didn't even know that Cafe Bizou had closed and it's nearly right under my nose. But, I've been away in Asia since December. I threw my first GTG dinner there in around 2017, as I threw two dinners and a luncheon during that GTG weekend, but at different restaurants within walking distance. Folks loved Cafe Bizou. I used to go there a lot up until maybe around 5 years ago. It was one of my favorites.

Happy Travels!
Aug 10th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Had two great meals at the Anaheim White House in June and July. Chef Bruno Serato is the man who founded Caterina's Club, a charity that feeds kids not only in Orange County, but now around the country and in Africa and his native Italy. The restaurant suffered severe dame in a 2017 fire and recently reopened. Delicious, albeit expensive, foods. Ambiance with frescoed rooms is perfect. Great service, too.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/ana...se-anaheim-ca/

Aug 10th, 2018, 06:36 PM

The LA area, ok. Kiriko for sushi and Mexican at Gilbert’s El Indio in Santa Monica. Dupars pancakes at the Farmers Market. Pork chops, hash browns and eggs at Pann’s for breakfast. Love the view from the Cliff Restaurant in Laguna, food isn’t bad either.
Aug 11th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Curiousgeo, you're going to laugh but we once had Thanksgiving dinner at DuPar's and it was great!!

Maitaitom, do tell what that unbelieveable-looking chocolate thing (middle picture) is.
Aug 11th, 2018, 12:48 PM

So sad, Le Petit Bistro, a La Cienega/Melrose go-to spot in Los Angeles shuttered on July 25th. Without warning. We mourn.
Aug 11th, 2018, 02:49 PM

sf7307, not laughing at all. I had their hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy once and thought it was quite good. So I imagine their roast turkey dinner on Thanksgiving would be delicious!

Too bad about Le Petit Bistro, it was on my list of places to eat in LA.
Aug 11th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

surfergirl, Le Petit Bistro was on my short list of future places ... didn't even know it closed.

sf, "We shared a Soufflé El Nino; flourless Grand Marnier soufflé, served with chocolate ganache, crème anglaise and Chantilly cream ($13.95). Decadence on a plate."

Sep 5th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Tracy and I ventured to Hipster Highland Park (I just try not to break a hip) to check out a French restaurant friends had told us about. Côté Est was so good on our July visit (on the hottest day in history), we made a return trip in August. Chicken, meat, fish and pork dishes plus some wonderful appetizers and desserts in a beautiful space make this place a keeper! Check it out below. Bon appétit!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cot...rk-california/

Sep 7th, 2018, 10:11 AM

Not sure if these more casual restaurants are appropriate for this thread, but here they are anyway!

We ate dinner at Mercado Los Angeles last week, which we also visited a year or two ago. Los Angeles Reservations ? Cocinas y Calaveras
Really good guacamole, and I loved my steak tacos. DH went rogue and ordered seared scallops (at a Mexican restaurant??), but they were awesome. Only complaint about the place is the noise level is very high.

Speaking of tacos, we loved our lunch at this Trejo's Tacos location last year: https://www.trejostacos.com/labrea/

Going farther afield, to Newport Beach, on our drive day to LA last week, we went for an early dinner at another old favorite, The Crab Cooker at Newport Beach. We never miss an opportunity to eat there.. main courses/desserts ? The Crab Cooker Restaurant
Sep 7th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

"Casual" counts! Thanks.

Search this Thread