Los Angeles Area Peak Traffic Times

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I dislike taking taxis, there will be a segment of my trip to California where it will be unavoidable.

I will need to get to Union Station from my hotel in Monrovia and back on one day of my trip. The morning trip will be between 5 and 6 in the morning and the return trip will be between 7 and 8 in the evening. What is the traffic typically like during those times? I have nightmares of being stuck in a backup with the meter ticking ever upward.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:01 PM

As an LA commuter, my general rule is that if you leave by 6am you should have smooth sailing in, should be downtown in less than an hour easily from Monrovia.

In the evenings at 7 or 8pm most of the rush hour will have died down, but it is always sticky on your route... especially if there is a Dodger game. I'd figure a little over an hour to get back to your hotel. YMMV.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:24 PM

You don't say when this is. Generally when school (i.e., all the colleges) is out for the summer, traffic is lighter. Between 5 & 6, I would think you would be ok, but 7-8 could be a problem. You just never know out here. Have you thought about using Super Shuttle? They service Union Station.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Supershuttle is a great call. I would guestimate the charge to be in the area of $30-$35 or so, compared to the cab fare which I don't even want to imagine. Not only that, but the Supershuttle drivers are crazy, aggressive, but skilled and timely... the cab drivers in LA always seem to be taking their sweet ol' time to get anywhere.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I will be there in late October.

I'll try Super Shuttle. At least the price will be fixed, no matter how long it takes to get there.

Thanks to both of you.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM
m367

Don't hold your breath, but the Gold Line is scheduled to open this summer. The last station is Sierra Madre Villa, 149 N Halsted, Pasadena. Perhaps you can get a ride there, etc., and zip quickly down to Union Station and avoid the hassle. $2.70 round trip.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Public transportation is another option I'm considering. It wouldn't work for the morning run, but it may be just the ticket for the evening. Checking the MTA website, the trip from Union Station to Monrovia is about 45 minutes.

I ride the bus every day, so that would be no big deal to me. However, I am a little leery about riding a bus after dark in an unfamiliar area. Am I worried for nothing?
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:42 AM
m367

Assuming the Gold Line is up and running (scheduled to open this summer), it is a new rail line, not bus line. It will be running parallel to the 210 Freeway in areas of Pasadena. Security will not be a problem, they have guards/cameras. I was at Union Station on Wednesday, and saw Gold Line signs/directions. Union Station is very clean and interesting; Amtrak, Metrolink all come in there, and there is the Red Line, Gateway Transit Center (buses) and it is well marked.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I was referring to a bus route that runs directly from Union Station to within a few blocks of my hotel. However, if the Gold Line is up and running and saves me time, I'll look into that as well. Although I would think that with needing to transfer in Pasadena, it would probably take just as long.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:49 AM

If there is a bus route that takes you from your hotel directly to Union Station without having to make a transfer then it is probably worth considering given your situation.

The route from Monrovia to Union Station does not run through any notorious neighborhoods and I would probably take it as well in your situation... but I would definetly exercise the normal everyday big-city caution, keep an eye on your stuff and surroundings, etc.